Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded Pin

Paul K

Im wondering if someone might be able to lend me a hand.

I have recently received my Grandfathers buttons and various other items from his uniform. One item in particular that I was surprised to find is a long narrow medal pin, which appears to be serialized, that he apparently received for being wounded. I know that he was gassed at some stage of the war and as a result suffered minor eye problems for the rest of his life. Would he have gotten it for that? Would it be possible to find out more details as to why he was given this pin? Where could I look to find out?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as nobody in my family has any idea why he received it.

Thank you

Paul

Paul - is this "pin" approx 50mm long, 4mm wide, made of brass, and in profile (end-on) something like a figure of eight cut in half - may have a marking "7342-17 or similar ? - regards - Tom

Hi All:

I saw one of these pins show up for auction on eBay Canada. The auction ended a couple of days ago and since I didn't "watch" it I now can't find it and the eBay site. :( It fits Tom's description and has two lugs for fastening.

Garth

I hope this works. Ian is right, it is a Wounded Stripe. Its a little out of focus. There is a Patent number and what appears to be serial numbers. Im not sure. Does anyone know if it would be possible to determine why my Grandfather received this and where could I look to find out.

Thank You

Paul

post-3-1056568012.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Paul,

Wounded stripes were issued in 1918 and soldiers were entitled to wear one for everytime they were wounded. The most I have seen in a picture being worn is 5. They were worn vertically on the left cuff.

A soldiers service record will usually record when he was wounded in action.

Ian

:)

Wounded stripes were issued in 1918

Ian.

Weren't they officially sanctioned in late 1916? I think that they could also be "back-dated" , so any wounds received 1914-16 would have been recognised by the issue of a "stripe" after their issue.

I'm sure someone out there can clarify. (One for you here, Joe!!! :) )

Dave.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Dave,

Apologies! - I was getting confused with overseas service stripes :o

Don't know actual date of issue but knew that they could be backdated.

It was a hard day yesterday :blink:

Ian

My Canadian CEF g'dad was wounded once "officially", i.e. I know from his service papers where and when. Thus I presume he was given a wound stripe (now long gone, I fear). Family lore has him being wounded other times; but none of these appear on his papers. Would these have been "wounded, remained at duty" incidents thus negating the need to record his transfer to Field Ambulance, CCS, and Hospital?

My English BEF g'dad was "officially" wounded once also, he is recorded as receiving the Silver War/Wound badge; would he also have received this topic's wound stripe?

Peter, getting ready for Canada Day July 1st.

Wound stripes were authorised by AO 204 , 9th August 1916 for those wounded in any campaign since the August 1914. They were to be made up of Russia (gold) braid, two inches long. Subsequent stripes were to be placed either side, a half inch apart.

Terry Reeves

'Distinctions in Dress for ..... wounded'.

Original AO dated 6 July 1916 numbered 249, intro. the "wound stripe" of gold russia braid, backdated to 4 Aug 1914, a strip for each occasion and subsequent occasion [not one per wound] AOs 249/16 , 202/ and 236/17 introduced some amendments, and 9/18 authorised wear in civvies after leaving service. A wound included gassing.

I have the references in front of me.

Should it be needed, I also have run down on Silver badge for wounded [issued AFTER being invalided, for waer in civvies] and overseas chevrons. All invaluable in dating old photographs.