Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Dragon Crater

Muerrisch

Sunday 22nd June was anniversary of biggest German mine explosion on Western Front in 1916, did great damage to B Company 2nd RWF.

Crater officially named Red Dragon after the heroic defenders.

I know a lot about it BUT what I don't know is when it was filled. Word was in the 1980s that it was still there, by the time I stirred myself in the 1990s there it was, gone, so to speak.

These days it is just about discernible NE of Givenchy if the field is wet and without crops.

And does anyone please have a photograph of it when it was more impressive than a moist hollow?

Right! I shall have to throw my Teddy out of the cot if no-one is interested in the biggest German bang of the war! Are there no other mine crater fanatics out there? Or RWF freaks?

Teddy is in great danger. Save a Teddy with your generous reply.

• Admin

Poor Teddy!

If you keep Bulletins, I seem to recall that there were some letters about the crater a while back. I visted the crater in 1989, there were some impressive dead rats about!

I think I've got a photo, but how good it is, I can't remember. If you wan't I'll plough through a lot of pics..........

Regards, Michelle :blink:

As Michelle says, the crater disappeared sometime in the early 1990s. When I first went to this area in the early 80s the ground either side of the road near the 55 Div memorial had many mine craters; only wish I could find my photos!

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd bring this back up to see if any current Pals might have a pic or know more about the crater being filled. Andy

Interesting photos. I find it amazing that the ground can be re-instated so well after such major disruption. The aerial photograph shows no traces. Yet I have seen others where there is distinctive marking where there were previously trench systems, paricularly in chalk. What is the sub soil here?

Tim