Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery ranks and positions etc

armourersergeant

After being away on tour i have accumilated many pictures of headstones belonging to the RFA/RGA/RHA and some of the ranks and positions have me amazed.

Do we have someone who could provide me with all the different ranks and positions and jobs discription.

I have the info from the main site but was after any other info that can be supplied

Things like,

1) What role would a Cavalryman have had being attatched to the RFA?

2) Is there a diagram that shows, tells how far back the artillery would normally have been?

3) What role would have a wheeler played (i assume the obvious but)?

Many thanks in advance.

regards

Arm.

PS i have edited this to make it more specific

Edited by armourersergeant

Arm

Attached is a map showing RGA dispositions during 1918. These are predominantly 6 and 8 inch guns. You can determine the range reasonably well from this. These positions moved quite rapidly as the front moved forward but the ranges remained reasonably constant.

RFA batteries were normally much closer into the line. An example would be 163rd Brigade RFA who were positioned near Caterpillar Wood on the Somme in 1916 and had Logueval and Delville Wood at their extreme arc of fire. Again you can suss that one out.

Wheelers I believe were mainly involved with re-aligning/laying the gun after firing. Obviously the guns would move due to recoil and subsidence so had to be frequently repositioned.

The Cavalryman is to my (limited) knowledge unusual and I would suspect this derives form his battery being previously RHA many of which converted to RFA late in the war.

Open to correction as always,

Roop

Roop,

Thanks, i had assumed the wrong one on that wheeler!

The cavalryman was if i recall a Life Guard officer

Quote:The cavalryman was if i recall a Life Guard officer

Got me there then???

Quote:i had assumed the wrong one on that wheeler!

Well I hope I am correct, that is my understanding of the role.

Roop

Its better then mine, I assumed he was involved in maintaining the wheels on the gun carriages not the sighting of them. Bit like a kwik fit fitter!

regards

Arm.

Arm - Mountain Batteries were unique, but I have the revised establishment for the Battery and the Ammunition Column issued in 1916 if you want. Let me know and I'll post it. There were four "fitters or wheelers", three in the battery and one in the amm. col., there to keep the wagons, carriages and limbers moving. I believe the gun "pointing" for direction was done by "gun layers".

Mike

There were four-legged 'wheelers' too: one of the names for the horses nearest to the limber and gun. One of their jobs was braking, leaning back into the breechings, I think they are called.

Oh yes, cavalry were occasionally attached to units to teach equitation ..... rough riders and the like. In a rapidly expanded army, there was a lot of learning to do.

Arm - Mountain Batteries were unique, but I have the revised establishment for the Battery and the Ammunition Column issued in 1916 if you want.  Let me know and I'll post it. There were four "fitters or wheelers", three in the battery and one in the amm. col., there to keep the wagons, carriages and limbers moving.  I believe the gun "pointing" for direction  was done by "gun layers".

Mike

There were four-legged 'wheelers' too: one of the names for the horses nearest to the limber and gun.  One of their jobs was braking, leaning back into the breechings, I think they are called.

Oh yes, cavalry were occasionally attached to units to teach equitation ..... rough riders and the like.  In a rapidly expanded army, there was a lot of learning to do.

Hello

This web page might help, with a little background information, there is also more detail given on the rest of the website.

http://www.bristolgunners.pwp.blueyonder.c...first_world.htm

Hilary

Mike a copy etc would be great please.

David, that may explain the cavalry guy in th e atttched role

Hilary, web page.

many thanks all

Arm.

Hope this helps (and is readable). Appendix 1 from the Jan 1917 WD of the Bute Mountain Battery, RGA, TF.

Mike

many thanks,

regards

Arm.

An interesting thread folks!

I'm currently looking at Bombardier Philip Brown (781190), “D” Battery, 311th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. Could anybody tell me the difference between a 'bombardier' and a 'gunner'.

Also what might I find at the TNA in terms of the 311th Brigade RFA. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Pals,

My Great Grandfather was the Battery Bootmaker for A Battery of the 330th Brigade RFA. I know this because it says so in his paybook which I have a copy of and he recieved extra pay for doing this job. One would assume this involved keping the boots of the men and officers in tip top shape as protection of feet was paramount (trench foot etc). His pal which he survived the war with was the battery taylor. Their ranks were Gunners. Does anyone have any info on Gunners having this type of role/job and how that duty would effect thier normal duties as gunners in action???

Thanks Aaron.

I wonder would this be a position like a batman? Would this be an unofficial position, or does it appear on any paperwork?

This is an interesting question as it makes me wonder how many 'jobs' there were for the rank and file during the war?

regards

Arm.

• 3 weeks later...

Arm,

Yes it is an interesting question and thread.....does anyone have an answer though??

cheers Aaron.

• 3 weeks later...
i thought a bombadier was a corporal

a lance bombadier was lance corporal

I think that you are thinking correctly (although a Bombardier is a Bombardier and nothing else even though he wears 2 chevrons as does a corporal, which is an equivalent but not the same! :blink: )

Dave.

In 160 Siege Battery RGA my father reached the dizzy heights of 'Acting, Supernumerary, Unpaid, Lance-Bombadier' ( his words not mine) after two years on The Western Front.between September 1916 and the end of the war. Whatever the official designations local conditions and needs led to some weird and wonderful creations in the field. His official rank remained 'Gunner'.

Tone wrote:

i thought a bombadier was a corporal

a lance bombadier was lance corporal

?

if i am wrong what is a full corporal?

Currently a Bombardier is equivalent to a Corporal, but during the Great War the RA had a Corporal rank so Bombardier was between Gunner and Corporal.

According to The King's Regulations and Orders for the Army, 1912

Soldiers holding the rank of Gunner or Driver could hold the following Appointments: Acting- Bombardier; Acting-Bombardier Artillery Clerk; Artificer; Bandsman; Bugler; Drummer; Fitter; Lance-Corporal; Musician; Saddler; Saddletree-maker; Shoeing and Carriage-Smith; Shoeing-Smith; Smith; Trumpeter; and Wheeler.

Regards. Dick

Can I say also that Rflory replied to me about the Battery Bootmaker question. He states that he can find no official or unofficial appointments of Battery Bootmaker. He estimates this role would have been a role similiar to Battery Cook, a service provided for all ranks including officers while in the field. He does not believe this role was a type of batman, as batman were servants to officers. Thanks for the email rflory.

regards Aaron.

• 4 weeks later...

My father has "A BOMBADIER" engraved on his medals. Does this mean he was the equivalent a corporal or a lance corporal?

Martyn

My uncle joined the RFA in 1914 and came back in 1919 as a Sergeant.

He was promoted just at the end of the war and his medals are stamped Corporal not Bombardier.

During the Great War the Royal Artillery ranks were from lowest to highest: Gunner/Driver; Bombardier; Corporal; and Serjeant. A Gunner was equivalent to a Private; a Bombardier to Lance Corporal; Corporal and Serjeant were the same in the artillery as the infantry. "A Bombardier" was an Acting Bombardier and they could be either "paid" or "unpaid." It was equivalent to an Acting Lance Corporal in the Infantry. Dick