Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chatteris/Cambridgeshire newspapers

bedfordyeoman

I am trying to get a general idea of what's available in terms of newspaper coverage for Cambridgeshire in WW1,and where.

As an example, I was trying to locate any news of a MM award for a chap who lived near Soham. I went to Cambridge Central Library and was given a reel of film for the Ely Standard and Cambridgeshire Times - I was told that the Cambridgeshire Times itself was held at March but was the same.

Does anyone know what newspapers are available in microfilm form, where,and, in particular, which newspaper is likely to give best coverage on Chatteris.

regards to all

David

David

You can use the online search facilty of the British Library Newspaper Library at Colindale to identify which newspapers you want - you can search by place as well as title and date. These are available at Colindale.

British Library Newspaper Catalogue

Regards

Simon

David

It's been a few years since I used March Library but they did hold microfilm copies of the "Cambridgeshire Times and March Gazette" which definitely had good coverage of Chatteris, March, Soham, Wisbech etc. which was very useful for the research (non-war related) I was doing at the time.

March is only a small library and only had one microfilm reader so it was best to book the reader in advance and from what I remember it used to have limited opening times as well. If you're planning to go there (it was more accessible for me than Colindale) then it's best to check in advance.

Steve

I live in March, Cambs, and the paper that covered Chatteris during WW1 was the Cambridgeshire Times. The paper still exists. Microfilm is available at March library and at Cambridge Central Library. Let me know what you are looking for because I may have some notes; I've read through the 1914-18 issues countless times now. I think I've sent you Beds Yeomanry extracts from the paper before.

Many thanks to those chaps who troubled to reply.

Cambridgeshire Times it is then although it looks as if I will not get any more information than that which Cliff has sent through to me before now.

I have sent him an e-mail separately.

Regards to all

David

Hello

I found a chap I was researching from Ely in the Cambridgeshire Times- it has a good account of WW1 and I got his picture and lots of info

Good luck !

Ian