Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confused

7:29am

Hi,

I am stuck!!

Several weeks ago i put out an SOS to try and gather some info on my great grandfather.

He died in the opening of the 3rd Ypres battle. and is buried at Canada farm. This was his unit "C" Bty. 34th Army Bde.

No matter where i look i cannot find anything to say what the 34th Army Bde was. If i go the long trail i get that the xxxiv brigade (if it is the same brigade) was attached to the second division but in jan 1917 became and army brigade. Could anyone tells me exactly what this means. He died in Sept 1917 so following the history of the 2nd division will not help either or will it?

And if i was looking for a diary what search criteria would i need to search PRO. i came up with some 2000 results. Once i get my foot in the door i can do my own searching but i don't understand the basics so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

these are his details

Name: CHURCHES

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: "C" Bty. 34th Army Bde.

Date of Death: 22/09/1917

Service No: 87101

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. C. 27.

Cemetery: CANADA FARM CEMETERY

Hello,

I have been researching Corps and Army artillery units and believe have come across your unit, but at a different date. In 1918, the year after 3rd Ypres, there was a 34th Brigade of the RFA (Royal Field Artillery), the brigade had 4 batteries (6 guns/howitzers). They were 50,70 and C equiped with 18 pounders ( a mobile field gun which fired an 18 lb HE, smoke or shrapnel shell) and 56 a 4.5" howitzer battery again with 6 howitzers. The 18 pdr and the 4.5" howitzer were the most numerous artillery weapons.

The basic artillery unit was the battery of 6 guns commanded by a major, and the brigade was a number of batteries commanded by a lieutenant colonel. Each division had a brigade for each of its infantry brigades ( 4 battalions of infantry). Other artillery units of the field artillery were not allocated to individual divisions but were parts of corps ( a group of 2 or 3 divisions) or armies (a group of 2 or 3 corps) The BEF had 5 armies and while there were about 100 brigades of artillery with their divisions, there were also 120 or so brigades of artillery with the corps and armies. Many of the corps and army brigade were heavy guns(6", 8", 9.2", 12" and 14" i.e. units of the RGA, Royal Garrison Artillery) they also had about 40 brigades of field artillery.

Hope this helps,

Old Tom

That is a pickle!!!!

Have your tried Soldiers Died?

I`m inclined to agree with M13pgb, that its mispelling of Art Brig.

Have you tried the RA Museum? 020 8855 7755

RA Regt Museum,

Firepower,

Lod Lab Office,

Royal Arsenal West,

Woolwich,

London,

SE18 6ST.

Hope this is of some use,

BJW

Jim,

Don't know how much it helps but there is mention of the 34th (Army) Brigade RFA on this website:

http://www.ypressalient.co.uk/Battle%20of%20Broodseinde.htm

Date of action is 4.10.1917 but it does place the Brigade at Ypres. Just got to figure out what they were now!

Steve.

34 Army Brigade is a Royal Field Artillery unit. RFA Brigades were made army brigades late in the war.

War diaries are not listed for this unit as an army brigade but are for 34 Brigade RFA which is the same unit.

WO 95/1324 34 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1914 Aug. - 1917 Apr.

Later War Diaries are not apparent at the NA but may be at RA museum library.

From Chris's LLT =

XXXIV Regular army 2nd Division to January 1917. Left Division and became an Army Brigade. Originally 22,50 and 70 Batts. 22 left May 1915. 56 (H) Batt less a section joined May 16.

Roop

Jim

In case you haven't seen it heres his SDGW

Glyn

post-5500-1114463716.jpg

Jim,

Just to add to everyone's explanations. Division-wise I think we're looking at 11th Division after January 1917.

The War Diary appears to continue on from Roop's post as:

34 Army Field Artillery Brigade, May 1917 to April 1919, WO95/385

Steve.

Hi all, i have found this reference for 11/11/1918. Does it fit in with what we are saying above?

British Third Army, 11th November 1918

THIRD ARMY ARTILLERY [Major General Wardrop]

34 Army Brigade RFA 50 70 C D Batteries

Cheers

Jim