Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

55th Fd Amb in the tropics??

big jar of wasps

John Rose was born to Fleetwood (Manchester), in 1895. The son of James & Martha Rose of 119 Promenade Road, Fleetwood, Lancashire.

He served, in the RAMC as Pte 58544, with the 55th Fd Amb, dying of his wounds, on the 18th Sept 1918 aged 24, and is buried in Peronne Communal Cemetery Extension grave 111.F.24.

“these cards came from a house in fleetwood two years ago......they had something to do with the methodist church originally from isle of man....there must have been two brothers ,both kia and both in the ramc” None of the postcards have been postal used.

As yet I have not been able to confirm whether there was a second brother, if he did serve in the RAMC, he wasn`t killed, so I can only at this time conclude that he either served in another Regiment or Corps, or he wasn`t killed during the war.

The photos appear to should John as a young biy, and then as a soldier wearing tropical uniform and then an old B/W photo, of his grave.

I have looked on the 1901 census and have found a Henry aged 8 and a James aged 5, Rose from Fleetwood, could one or both of these been his brother?

Can anyone help me out, I`m curious as to why John is photographed wearing tropical uniform. Did the 55th Fd Amd, serve in a Division that served in a tropical environment prior, to serving in France. If this is the case, would the unit have been issued with tropical uniforms before departing, or whilst they were there?

post-6008-1114446971.jpg

BJW

55 FA served in the Dardanelles ??? although originally part of the 18th Division (LLT). Their war diary is at the NA from 1915 - 19 but is under Belgium and France, this being their last theatre.

55 Field Ambulance

Roop

Cheers Roop, you`ve been of great help.

I was kind of hoping that they might have served in Mespot!

Kind regards,

BJW.

post-6008-1114455036.gif

BJW

The reference I have to the Dardanelles is not assured as I cannot verify it . However, it would seem possible.

Roop

Cheers Roop, it gives me somewhere to start anyway. Once I finished my research I`ll post it on the site.

Many thanks for all your help.

Gordon.

post-6008-1114538236.gif