Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt JF Egerton - death 03/04/1916

shinglma

The following is from the War Diary for the 8/KRRC for the 02/04/1916 when 2nd Lt JF Egerton was hit by a bullet. Sadly he died the following day at the 42nd CCS at Doullens. The question is can anyone tell me what exactly it says? I make it as follows

"A stray bullet hit 2nd Lt EGERTON on patrol early in the evening. He had only just returned from acting as ADC to the GOC 46th Division & would probably have joined the ?? before long."

Thanks in advance

post-627-1114441921.jpg

Marina

Thanks - i've been looking at this for about an hour and have just about gone cross-eyed!.

I think you're right about 'mission' and would also agree it looks like 'Russian' mission.

But if so - I wonder what on earth it could mean. The 8/KRRC were in Arras at the time

and 46th Division were also in France. Doesn't make any sense...

Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks again Marina.

Mike

Marina

Thanks - i've been looking at this for about an hour and have just about gone cross-eyed!.

I think you're right about 'mission' and would also agree it looks like 'Russian' mission.

But if so - I wonder what on earth it could mean.  The 8/KRRC were in Arras at the time

and 46th Division were also in France.  Doesn't make any sense...

Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks again Marina.

Mike

does it say 4th[k] k meaning kitchener div,and it looks like russian mission,could have been an intelligence officer or translator,bernard.

Definitely looks like Russian Mission to me, in which case he could have gone down with Kitchener on the Hampshire had he not been killed! The timing is right, isn`t it? Phil B