Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert to Dunkirk Via Vimy??

paullaw1155

We will be traveling back home from Aucheovillers to Dunkirk (North Sea Ferries)

on Tuesday 10th of May and hope to visit Vimy Ridge, I am not sure if I have read somwhere that Vimy Ridge is closed for visitors due to remedial work. Can anyone advise me if this is so. Also what is best route to travel when we leave Aucheonvillers??.

Thanks in anticipation

Paul

Paul, although I haven't been there since the work started, the word is that the upper section of the Vimy Memorial Park - where the Canadian National Memorial is - is closed to visitors. The lower area, where the preserved trenches are, is still open, I understand. No doubt Pals who have been there more recently than me will be able to give us a more up-to-date picture.

The best way to Vimy from Auchonvillers is to head for Thiepval and from there to Pozieres and the main Albert-Bapaume road. Turn left towards Bapaume and stay on that road until you pick up the signs for the A1 motorway (just before you reach Bapaume itself.) Head North on the A1 towards Arras, Lille, Calais etc.

Just after Arras, look out for signs for the A26 motorway to Calais. Follow the signs and join the A 26. Vimy is signposted at the next motorway junction you will come to - Junction 7 of the A 26.

After visiting Vimy you can either continue up the A26 to Calais and then continue past Calais on the A16 to Dunkirk (about 96 miles), or you can return to the A26 and head for Lille, looking out for the signs for the A25 which is the motorway which connects Lille and Dunkirk. This route is about 20 miles shorter.

Tom

:D

Hi Paul,

Tom is right when he says the upper section of the Vimy Memorial Park - where the Canadian National Memorial is - is closed to visitors. But the lower area, the preserved trenches are still open. I was there on Wednesday 13th April and was very fortunate to go on a tour of the tunnels with the Canadian guide, there were only four of us in the group.

The guide told us that the tunnels don't open until May but whenever they have extra staff on duty and a small number of people would like go down into the tunnels then they will oblige. Very good tour, the tunnels are amazing and the guides are excellent.

Although you cannot walk around the memorial itself, there is still plenty to see.

Regards,

Donna.

:D

Thanks for the info and directions Tom and also to you Donna for confirmation.

It will be my third visit to Vimmy and the Western front, For my Friends it will be the first visit to the front. (I am Sure) more visits will be planned for the future. Vimmy is an added bonus for our self drive tour

Cheers

Paul