Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Battleships in Canada

BeppoSapone

I picked up this postcard at a car boot sale yesterday. I was hoping that someone could tell me more about it?

Someone has written on the front "British Battleships Victoria" and on the back is printed: "The view on the reverse side of this card is of Esquimalt Harbour, British Naval Station, Victoria, British Columbia."

Although the picture has not scanned too well I wonder if any "navy buff" can recognise the ships, or even just their class? Also, can anyone date the scene, which I would assume to be Edwardian.

If it helps, the card was "Printed in Victoria" by the "Acme Press".

This is the first time I have come across "Acme" anything outside of "Road Runner" cartoons! :D

post-1110-1114416578.jpg

Beppo,

I wonder if the ship on the right could be RAINBOW? According to the 1914 Jane's she was purchased from RN in 1909.

Regards,

David

Beppo,

I wonder if the ship on the right could be RAINBOW?  According to the 1914 Jane's she was purchased from RN in 1909.

Regards,

David

Thank you for your help David. Sorry for the delay. This question "went to the bottom" - no pun intended - and I have only just seen your reply.

The two ships (center and right) are cruisers, not battleships, and do look to be Apollo class, like the Rainbow. She went to the RCN in 1910, so this could be the date of the picture, she would be accompanied by a sister ship and an auxiliary. The class achieved some fame as the five blockships at Zeebruge and Ostend. (Not Rainbow, though,she stayed in Canada.)

Rainbow was one of the ten members of the class that were sheathed in wood and copper for use in tropical waters (!) . She was 3600 tons, 314ft. 6in. length, 19.75 kts. Armament 2x6in, 6x4.7in, 8x6pdr, 4x14in torpedo tubes.