Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ashmead-Bartlett's cinefilm restored

Ian Underwood

Article in the Sydney Morning Herald. The famous Ellis Ashmead Bartlett Cinefilm from Galipolli has been digital restored by NZ director Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) by his own digital effects company, to spectactular results from all reports. Couldn't find this anywhere else on the forum.

SMH article here

Cheers, Ian.

Guest richpics5174

Thanks Ian,

I didn't know that Peter J was a WW1 buff like the rest of us here but I knew there was something very... World War 1-ish... about the last battle at Minas Tirith. The bombardment of the fortress by the catapults with counter-battery fire from the walls, the storming of the fortress with multiple lines of defense... granted the NazGul were more akin to Stukas but perhaps they could be taken as part of the general 'bombardment' as well - Screaming Meemies of some sort. I thought that it was just Peter J's correct reading of JRR's battle scenes (he'd been in the Great War and much of his imagery was formed by his impressions there) but I guess there was more than meets the eye!

Thanks very much,

Richard

I think Peter Jackson is quite interested in Gallipoli.

He has commissioned the Perry Brothers (very talented miniature designers) to create an exclusive set of 54mm models of Australians going over the top a la "Gallipoli" for his private collection.

www.perry-miniatures.com then go to "select a range" and at the bottom click "Peter jackson figures"

Matthew

to create an exclusive set of 54mm models of Australians going over the top a la "Gallipoli" for his private collection.

Thanks for the link. Spectacular minatures! Peter Jackson really is the most wonderful nerd around, isn't he? I really hope he'll paint them himself.

I think you'll find they're New Zealanders tho' Matthew, the site refers to them as 'ANZACs' but there's enough pith helmets and lemon squeezers being worn, plus the following caption to one of the pics lower down the page is a giveaway, "Peter and us on the Edoras set. Peter's just approving the list of WW1 New Zealanders"

cheers, all. Ian

I think you'll find they're New Zealanders tho' Matthew, the site refers to them  as 'ANZACs' but there's enough pith helmets and lemon squeezers being worn, plus the following caption to one of the pics lower down the page is a giveaway, "Peter and us on the Edoras set. Peter's just approving the list of WW1 New Zealanders"

cheers, all. Ian

Yes I did wonder about that. Thought it odd why he'd pick Australians instead of New Zealanders. It had been quite a while since I last looked at the site.

I 'd like to see them when their finished and painted but I guess that's the whole point of having a private collection.

Matthew

Guest richpics5174

Thanks Matthew!

I just sat spellbound for a moment - darn those are good castings! Most successful nerd indeed (we should all be so lucky! Lord of the Rings and a cool WW1 soldier collection too!)

Richard

Guest richpics5174

Maybe he'll do another great Australian war movie (here's hoping!!) to join the likes of Gallipoli, The Lighthorsemen, Breaker Morant...

Richard

This is the guy who owns a full size fibreglass replica WW1 Male Tank,

I got to see the beast at the Blenheim Airshow in NZ three years ago, and when I first saw it, I thought it was the real deal, until I touched it and realised it was fibreglass.

I think he also owns a three quarter sized replica Sopwith Pup.

Having just perused the website showing his private castings, I am truly impressed by the quality.certainly they beat my Airfix British Paratroopers hands down.

If I may also add that they appear to certainly be New Zealanders, (some have Lee Metfords, while the Australians had SMLE's) they also appear to be the Wellington Regiment (as some have the Lemon Squeezer hat, which was only worn by them up until the NZ Div adopted it in 1917) Also, judging by the pitch of the bases, they are meant to be charging up a hill (most likely Chunck Bair) and lastly, figure number 18 appears to be the spitting image of Lt Col Malone, who perished along with bulk of his Regiment on the heights of Chunck.

Bair.http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

http://www.anzacs.org/

So my uneducated guess it that he has gone for the Wellington Regiment, engaged on the assault on Chunck Bair, August, 1915.

Great figures.

Guest richpics5174

"Lt Col Malone, who perished along with bulk of his Regiment on the heights of Chunck."

Now there's an idea for Mssr Jackson, though I think that's already been done as one of the 'great Australian war films' - CHUNUK - has it?

How about a movie on Freyberg? He was a really amazing fellow.

Richard

Now there's an idea for Mssr Jackson, though I think that's already been done as one of the 'great Australian war films' - CHUNUK - has it?

Unfortionatly it was a NZ production, and it reeked.

I have heard it rumoured that Mr Jackson, does have plans in the future to make a film about the Enzed assault at Chunuk Bair. Don't ask me when,,down the track a bit I reckon,,I think it is a long term thing.

I also believe he collects Gallipoli/Enzed militaria. I wouldn't like to get between him & something he is bidding on!

Cheers

G

I've heard tell that it is an intimidating experience to be bidding against the man. Pretty much if he wants it, he gets it, I have heard that he is snapping up a lot of the NZ WW1 stuff coming onto the market, especialy uniforms.

54mm and all that detail! I especially was moved by Model 13 and impressed by model 16, as well as the rest of them.

Kim

Guest richpics5174

"heard that he is snapping up a lot of the NZ WW1 stuff coming onto the market, especialy uniforms"

Hmmm... maybe he IS planning on making a movie on Gallipoli. If the old Chunuk movie 'reeked' I'm sure he'll do them one better! Might be the 'Saving Private Ryan' or 'Band of Brothers' of NZ Cinema.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Yes If one of Peter Jackson's boys bids on something its a gonna.

I no allot of people who have missed out on gear because he wants it.

Anything kiwi ww1 he wants.

He has made up ww 1 German and kiwi uniforms for re-enactors at his air-show.

He brought Richthofens scarf and I think the others items at about $15000

a piece, would be nice to be able to throw that sort of money around for collecting.

Not sure how knowledgeable he is about the gear he has other people buying it for him

I wouldn't mind that Job

;)

Were there any NZ VCs for WW1?

Be interesting to see who'd win that one. Lord Ashcroft or Peter Jackson.