Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian War Diaries

Tom Morgan

Yesterday I learned that the National Archives of Canada has just, within the past few days, posted digitized copies of war diaries on their web site. The postings include the war diaries themselves and their appendices, which often are more important than the diary because they can contain detailed operational reports. It appears that for now, digital images are available only for the units that fought with the Canadian Corps (as opposed to C.E.F. units that fought or operated outside of the Corps or were disbanded in Britain).

This is a tremendous resource for anyone trying to trace the movements, history, and happenings of Canadian units that took the field.

Tom :)Click here to go to the War Diaries search page.

I agree Peter - an excellent resource. I've just been looking at the PPCLI Diary for October 1917. The appendices are really something - orders fpr the attack,details of all messages received from forward positions etc. etc.

The Canadian Archives people have done us a great service.

Tom

This is fantastic news and a brilliant resource to have on line. Once again the colonials put our efforts to shame!!

To quote from my post from the earlier thread in "War Diaries":

"As of today, I calculate 36% of war diaries are "digital". I saw Corps, Division, Brigade, and Battalion diaries. Looks like most of the Infantry is done including RCR and PPCLI (with some tantalizing date gaps for some btns). I also saw some Cavalry, Engineer, Artillery, MG, and yes even Cyclists. And marked-up trench maps!

Looks like an amazing work in progress, something to keep checking back on to see what else is online. Remember to select the "digital" checkbox."

Amazing, even I could operate it! I spent lots of bucks getting 87th Bn diary and records of all men mentioned in Alexander McClintock's book a few years ago and now attestation papers and diaries on on line!

Sincere aplogies for repeating an item of news which had already been mentioned on the forum. Broznitsky's posting has made me aware that I did this.

I had no desire to steal anyone else's fire. I've been away guiding for over a week and (such is the success of Chris's forum) that when I got back and clicked on the "view new posts" option there were pages and PAGES of them - so many that I couldn't read them all at one sitting. When looking again later, I didn't notice the earlier mention and subsequent discussion.

Tom

You are welcome to share any fires I light, but it was Simon Fielding who first broke the news.

Don't worry about re-starting the thread, it just means more people will become aware of the wonderful new source of data. Just look at the replies you got from people who hadn't noticed the first thread in that dusty old "Document Repository" area. :)

Peter in once-again High Pressure System Vancouver