Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Btn. Glos. Regiment (TF)

Mangoman

I am trying to establish precisely when my grandfather's brother was actually killed?

According to the CWGC he is recorded as being killed on 29 May 1915 nr. Ploegsteert, Belgium. Yet I have an old newspaper cutting stating that at on 30th May 1915 Arthur had sent a letter to his father Frederick Charles Blackmore saying that he was 'all right and was going into the trenches that night'. That evening he apparently met his death under shell fire.

What I don't understand is why there is a 24 hour discrepancy between the date contained on the CWGC records and that given in the newspaper? <_<

The Soldiers Died CD also shows him with date of death of 29 May. Have you got a copy of his death certificate? If not, join www.1837.com and from there you can apply for the cert.

Les.

The Soldiers Died CD also shows him with date of death of 29 May. Have you got a copy of his death certificate? If not, join www.1837.com and from there you can apply for the cert.

Les.

Thanks for your help Eviltaxman. I'll see what I can do about getting a copy of his death certificate. :)

Not unusual to find different dates. If a man goes into action on the night of the 29th and is killed in the early hours of the 30th then the real date can become confused. Not a matter of 24 hours difference. If he is killed at 1 am then it is 1 hour difference between the dates. If an attack starts at 11.30 pm 29th and the casualty list is drawn up at 2 pm on the 30th how can you be sure when an individual was killed? An official date was arrived at, but that may not always be when the person was actually killed. Hope that made sense :blink:

Steve

Guest waynexr8

G'day all, just as a side note, my grandfather (Pte 1718 Henry Ames) also served with the 1/6th Btn. Glos. regiment, cheers, wayne