Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW help please !

Guest gsmb

Hello All ,

I have a war medal to an original Accrington Pal , 11th Btn East Lancs . Casualty but he isn't on the CWGC website .

He is :

H . Davis 15762 E . Lancs

if anyone has the sdgw disc and can have a peak and give me his details off there i would be grateful .

Cheers

Grant

His TF re-number was 242629, Henry Davis. I don't have SDGW but someone could try that...

Presumably, he was transferred from the 11th Battalion some time after 1-3-1917?

Steve.

Grant

I found these but the spelling is Davies,

the nearest is

Harry Davies 16792

Born Widnes, Lanc's

Enlisted Liverpool.

Died 5.7.16

7th Bn. E. Lanc's.

Henry Davies 15595

Born Newton Wood, Cheshire

Enlisted Accrington

Died 8.9.18

1st Bn. E. Lanc's

Herbert Davies 29583

Born Dolgelley Merionethshire

Enlisted Manchester

Resided Levenshulme, Manchester

2nd Bn. E. Lanc's (formally 4695 Manchester Reg).

Hope this is helpful

Mandy

Hello Grant

If he isn't listed on CWGC or SDGW how do you know he was a casualty?

Andy

I have a war medal to an original Accrington Pal , 11th Btn East Lancs . Casualty but he isn't on the CWGC website .

He is :

H . Davis 15762 E . Lancs

Hello Grant.

He won't be on SDGW for one reason....he didn't die!

He was a casualty, but not a fatality. He was wounded on 1st July 1916 but, as far as I can see, didn't die during the war (his MIC mentions nothing of the sort, either).

Dave. :)

He was a casualty, but not a fatality. He was wounded on 1st July 1916 but, as far as I can see, didn't die during the war.

Just to add - his later number (242629) is a 5/East Lancs number. Looking at his number from when he was in the 11th Bn, I deduce that he was an original member of Z Company, therefore he transferred from a "Burnley Company" to a "Burnley Battalion". I take it he was from Burnley then? :)

If so, have you checked the AVL's at Burnley Central Library? You should find him on these and maybe get a little extra information or just confirmation of what has been said. While you're there, you could see if his wounding gets a mention in the Burnley Express archive (though you might be looking for a needle in a haystack considering the date!!!).

Dave. :)

Hello All ,

Yep your right , He didn't die he was a casualty . I was looking at the wrong column in the Accrington Pals book , the man across from him to the right was a fatality ! DOH !!

I will go down to the Burnley Library and look at the AVL , is it in the reference section upstairs ?

Cheers

Grant

P.S. All i,ve managed to get 3 more victories to the 11th , 1 original and 2 replacement !!

I will go down to the Burnley Library and look at the AVL , is it in the reference section upstairs ?

No. They're in the reference section downstairs!!! :D They have the 1918 and the 1919 editions (1919 is particular good as it gives the unit at the end of the war). You have to ask at the reception desk for them.

dave.

Excellent , i,ll go down this week .

I remember going upstairs years ago to look at microfilm of the old Burnley Expresses and presumed they were up there .