Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pals pleas help, Another Medal SPLITTER!

David_Bluestein

Pals, I need your help:

Here we go AGAIN! Another dealer on ebay is splitting a beautiful medal group. This time the group being destroyed is the 1914-15 Trio to Pte. S.J. Kelly 3rd Battalion (Toronto Regt) CEF. The dealer is selling all three medals, welcome home medal, identity bracelet and other items to Kelly separately!!!!!!

Please help me by sending this dealer an e-mail, and plead with him to please sell the group together.

1914-15 Star: Item 2180940755

BWM: item 2180941635

Victory: item 2180942969

Welcome Home Medal: item 2180944606

ID Bracelet: item 2180947360

Other Kelly items 2180946134 & 2180946878

I desperately hope we can save Pte. Kelly's group.

Thanks in advance for your help

David

I note that 4 medals are currently being bought by the same buyer NW Medals (Canada ?) but this buyer does not seem to want his dogtags.

Total currently for the medals is $80 US which seems reasonable. Interesting to see where it finishes to establish if "splitting" does indeed bump up the total achieved. If it does you will never stop the practice , I fear.

Hi David:

I've sent the dealer an e-mail asking him to take the high road and sell the seven items as a package. I also referred him to item #2178993741 (a package offer) that sold on eBay Canada for $500 US in less than 12 hours as a "Buy It Now" bid.

Other than someone stepping up to the plate and buying each item individually, I don't know what else can be done to save this marvelous collection. Any other suggestions?

Garth

Garth,

I did the same when I wrote the dealer. I didn't know about the other set which sold, but indicated that he woud have cash in his pocket in hours if he batched the items and sold as a group.

What a stunning piece of history...I hope that he truly realizes that he is destoying a unique and wonderful memento of those days long ago.

Patrick

I sympathise guys, but where does it stop?

I know there is no way of ever stopping this practice. It has been happening for generations and will continue for generations to come. However, seeing it in front of our noses is so heart breaking, its impossible to just sit by and do nothing. So in answer to your question, we should do what ever little we can.

Pals,

TREMENDOUS NEWS!:rolleyes:

We have spoken and been heard!I have just received an e-mail from Greg, the owner of the medals, and he has agreed to cancel the auction this afternoon and relist them as one group along with the other items. He will keep them as a 5 day auction and hopes they go to someone who will preserve the complete grouping.

Congratulations to all of us and THANKS especially to David for making us aware of this near tragedy!

Vox Populi, Vox Dei ! :D

Patrick

What FANTASTIC news!!!!!!!!

This has made my day.

Thanks to ALL the PALS for your kind help! These are the things that make me feel that we ARE actually helping to ensure that the memory of their sacrifice is still protected to this day.

Best wishes and thanks again

David

Guest Hill 60

The Pals strike back! Okay, I have another task for you all. E-mail number 10 Downing Street and see if we can get rid of Blair!!

Seriously, WELL DONE! Those who took part in this crusade should feeling justly proud of themselves.

I also had a note from the seller , Greg and was pleased to note his proposal to relist the entire group. Of course, I thanked him for that.

Good for all of you! I am proud of you. I did not know how to email the guy, have never used ebay but am happy you did.

I received another e-mail from Greg, the owner, who indicated that they would be relisted for auction at 1730 US East Coast time, and he was unsure whether to include the ID Bracelet as part of the grouping. I indicated that it was a key and essential part of the history of the grouping and he agreed to include it, along with Mr. Kelly's "Demob" badge which he had forgotten he owned.

Let's hope it all goes to someone who will not, again, attempt to split it up.

Patrick :D

I have just checked and the medals and ALL items are relisted together, with a very nice nod to those of us who contacted Gregg about the split.

SJ Kelly Trio and other goodies

I certainly sent him a note expressing my appreciation for his kind and COURAGEOUS action to withdraw the items and relist them.

Let's pray that others are as receptive to our persausive arguments! :angry:

Patrick

Nice one Greg,

You have regrouped the set.

Good luck with your auction.

garyem1

--------------------

Question from: garyem1

Title of item: WWI CEF MEDALS BADGES TORONTO 3RD KELLY LOT

Seller: greg25999@aol.com

Starts: Jun-24-03 15:18:33 PDT

Ends: Jun-29-03 15:18:33 PDT

Price: Currently $149.99

To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2181087097

Visit eBay, The World's Online Marketplace TM at http://www.ebay.com

Theres also a guy on ebay (cal3344) that is breaking up some WW1 paperwork and other items from one man.

To some money is all that counts!!

Dean Owen

This is good news, but let's not get too self-righteous about splitting medals from paperwork... for reasons we have discussed before, collectors are often as bad as dealers, and some will not buy medal groups if they come with "expensive" paperwork... splitting up medal groups is one thing, having to seperate rare items of ephemera from a medal GROUP is another... after all dealers are out to make a profit, they are not charities... B)