Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

LatvianDigger

Found this item which looks like some kind of a structure or something from equipment. Found this near WW1 Russian trenches. Maybe anyone knows this item and what is its purpose? Thanks.

IMG_20240610_211455_171.jpg

IMG_20240610_211508_934.jpg

How big is it? Some indication of size might be helpful - length/width etc it is hard to tell from the pictures.

I assume it is steel (magnetic)

Just now, 4thGordons said:

How big is it? Some indication of size might be helpful - length/width etc it is hard to tell from the pictures.

I assume it is steel (magnetic)

11cm long and 3.5cm wide.

At first glance I thought it might be the  back ‘plate’ of a thermometer, the large hole to accommodate the bulb and is that a hook or eyelet at the other end to suspend it?

Simon

Edited by mancpal

8 minutes ago, mancpal said:

At first glance I thought it might be the  back ‘plate’ of a thermometer, the large hole to accommodate the bulb and is that a hook or eyelet at the other end to suspend it?

Simon

It is a hook.

The only other thought was perhaps the remains of a fishermans spring balance though I’d expect a slot down the centre rather than a hole at the bottom.

The hook is interesting in that the item was to be hung up, this brings me back to a thermometer (only for want of a better idea).

Simon

I mean actually I wouldn't really call it a hook, because it isnt bent like a hook and it's a small straight object folded, so it could go through the small hole at the bottom. 

Gustavs

10 minutes ago, mancpal said:

The only other thought was perhaps the remains of a fishermans spring balance though I’d expect a slot down the centre rather than a hole at the bottom.

The hook is interesting in that the item was to be hung up, this brings me back to a thermometer (only for want of a better idea).

Simon

good morinng,

In which region was it found, what types of objects found with it would help us.

I had the opportunity to find one at home (Loos - France).

I threw it away thinking it was an element of an agricultural tool. I am impatiently waiting for the result of the identification in order to know if I made a mistake to throw it away or not.

regards

michel

Edited by battle of loos

16 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

good morinng,

In which region was it found, what types of objects found with it would help us.

I had the opportunity to find one at home (Loos - France).

I threw it away thinking it was an element of an agricultural tool. I am impatiently waiting for the result of the identification in order to know if I made a mistake to throw it away or not.

regards

michel

good morning,

This object was found in current Latvia, during WW1 Latvia wasnt independent yet, Russia owned it's land that time.

The object was found close to the daugava river front.

Gustavs