Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Somme Battle trench maps

Fraser Thomson

Hi there, I'm preparing for my visit to Picardy in July, and want to know where to get some relevant maps for placing infantry positions. The maps would obviously need to be showing front line positions, and be for the 18 mile Somme front only.

I've noticed requests being answered, with some members posting really detailed looking trench maps. Where do they come from? Is there a website I've missed? Are they sourced from forum members serving in the Armed Forces, with access to well scanned original maps?

Could I be cheeky and request a good one of the Hawthawn/Beaumont Hamel area, incl the sunken lane, and Theipval. Would be nice to have some trench details of the infamous woods due east too.

Cheers,

Fraser.

Fraser,

A lot of posts of trench map images on the forum come from Crooneart, who has put some on his website Paths of glory - see here.

You can also order a limited number of colour maps from GH Smith, their website is here.

Peter Chasseaud's "Topography of Armageddon" is another printed collection, with many more maps, but not cheap (and not easy to carry around the batllefields if you're walking either)!

Alan

Fraser,

another excellent source is the CD The IWM Trench Map Archive, sold by The Naval & Military Press.

This enables you to print out parts of the areas you are interested in

Peter

If you are going to the Somme, then quite a few of the GH Smith repro trench maps are on sale in the shop at Delville Wood.

Hi there, I'm preparing for my visit to Picardy in July, and want to know where to get some relevant maps for placing infantry positions. The maps would obviously need to be showing front line positions, and be for the 18 mile Somme front only.

Fraser.

The next 4 posts will show you the pre-1st July front from above Gommecourt, down to Becourt. I'll add the rest later (or just take a look at the webpage mentioned above in a day or 2 - they'll be on there soon!)

Dave

Map removed. Can be found on Paths of Glory

Map removed. Can be found on "Paths of Glory"

Map removed - etc. etc.

...and 4...

Map removed - etc, etc.

Fraser.

The next 4 posts will show you the pre-1st July front from above Gommecourt, down to Becourt. I'll add the rest later (or just take a look at the webpage mentioned above in a day or 2 - they'll be on there soon!)

I've now added the maps I posted here to my webpage plus the map that shows the Fricourt - Mametz area. Unfortunately, my map (I can only find one - I thought I had 2 !!! :unsure: ) for 62cN.W. (area from mametz down to the Somme River and beyond) is dated 20/11/16 and only shows trenches near Peronne. Maricourt, Carnoy etc. is shown "trench free" on this map. Monchy au Bois to Mametz ain't bad though, is it? B)

Dave. (You'll find the updated page by clicking HERE )

Would be nice to have some trench details of the infamous woods due east too.

You'll also find a scan of Delville Wood at the end of July 1916 on the above mentioned page too!

Dave.

O, Thank you very much. It was exactly what I wanted.

You're quite welcome! :)

To save on bandwidth on this site,now that the original poster has seen the maps I posted, I've removed the scans of the maps. They can still be found on the above mentioned website, however.

As from now, I'll be doing the same with all maps that I post on this forum, if I save them also on my own site.

...Just letting you know, they haven't just "disappeared"! :D

Dave.