Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deciphering Service Records

jim_davies

Hi,

I have the service record (or what remains of it for the above soldier) and am having a some difficulties working out some of his details.

His attestation papers are among the packet I have, and show that he attested on 9/9/14 for 1 year's service as a Special Reservist. The form shows his previous service with the 2nd Lincs until 1902, with the serial number of 2465.

I understand the above, but don't understand a page relating to his widow and her pension of 21 shillings a week. This appears to show (the writing is difficult to make out) to show that the pension would take affect from 15th May 1910. On other forms it shows the 9/9/14 as the start of his "service towards engagement".

His service number (9158) is also a little strange. All the other Lincs men I've seen who enlisted in early Sept 1914 have much higher numbers in the area of 11000-12000ish. Whereas 9158 would match more with joining 1909-1911?

Any ideas for the above. Is it possible that George had enlisted in the reserve between 1902 and 1914, and kept the interim number?

Confused Jim

Hi Jim,

Having fun :D Get dad to help you :D:D

The 9158 number looks certainly like a 2nd Lincs number. On his enlistment date the 2nd Bn were still in Bermuda.

On the list of 1st Bn members that embarked to France in August 14 (held in the museum of lincs life) there were very few 5 digit men on it. I think the majority of 5 digit men were later drafts of enlisted men.

Bear with me.

Remember me telling you about the O.C.A. lists of subscribers from the 1st and 2nd Bn? All of the men for the list of 1913 were 4 digit men ranging from 6000 to 9000+

I think that the regulars were re-numbered sometime before this. Could George have been issued with a number in his old Battalion?

Hope this makes some sense.

Cheers,

Steve.

P.S.

Grimsby 0 Scunthorpe 0 (yesterday)

Hi Steve,

You're up late! The parents flew in yesterday, at which point I promptly mugged my dad and took off with a variety of service records, photocopies of the mercury and other good things!

The best thing I can think of is that George may have signed up for a year's Special Reserve Service in 1910ish. After this expired he kept the number when he re-enlisted in Sep 1914. Not the best explanation.....

George appears to have gone from the 3rd batt to the 7th Lincs in a matter of days in Sep 1914. Remained with the 7th until his death. I'll try to email what I've written up on him tommorrow.

I need to see if Bob Dennis who served with the 7th and in SA with the 2nd has his records intact. He was numbered 1 digit away from George, and might solve some of the issues.

I remember the OCA stuff and thought the the high 9000s represented the very first AUgust 1914 volunteers to the regiment, so George is causing me some issues(!). It's possible he was renumbered but I think he's first period of service ended in late 1902, but I can recheck a couple of things....

It's one step forward and about five back right now!

Cheers,

Jim