Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGQC?

Guest overthetop

Guest overthetop

I am starting to research my grandfather during WW1, :rolleyes: apart from photograph and my father telling me about my grandfather firing his artillery piece, possibly an 18 pounder while retreating without uncoupling from the horse and that he had silver spurs, I have no information other than a pocket watch that has a chain with a possible regimental badge with the letters RGQC any ideas :huh:

David

David,

A 'google' search did not give any hints; as I assumed R stands for Royal and C for Corps, buy alas. Also a (quick) look inthe Army List index did not return a corps with these initials.

Can you describe the badge?

Cheers,

Wienand

Guest overthetop

Well I didn’t expect such prompt replies so thank you to you all.

Regards the badge it has a crown over a shield the initials are engraved in the centre of the shield with what looks like a olive type branches each side. The crown looks like the type worn by a queen! I don’t have the watch at this time but I will be receiving and image shortly.

Many thanks David :)

Hello David,

Thanks for the further details. If it were Royal Artillery related (handling the 18 pounders) then you would no doubt have mentioned a Napoleontic era type of gun. Your mention of a laurel wrath and a shield makes me think the badge is related to the one of the services.

Please keep us posted when you know more!

Cheers,

Wienand