Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Calligon.

Bob Coulson

This man is named on a local memorial as George Calligon - SS Aquitania.

Tried various variations on the surname on CWGC but no luck.

Any thoughts appreciated.

By the way the memorial is to those who died only, not all who served.

Bob.

BOB

Have you tried different spellings?Living in Bristol I find that ,often upper-class people,who at that ime were in positions of power,haled from either other areas or other schools,whot talked different.One of the results of this is that people,who should have known better,got spelling wrong.

Just a thought.

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

BOB

I HAVE LOOKED IN THE NAVAL RECORDS OF THE MEMORIALS FOR chatham plymouth portsmouth and tower hill. Iwas unable to find him on any of these. Sorry.

I think he was a merchant man.

Sorry cant help.Please let us know when you find out.

CHEERS/

JOHN. :D

Bob,

I think what you are dealing with here may be a Mercantile Marine man who died of natural causes during the war and was thus not entitled to War Graves recognition. The only way that men (or women) serving in a civilian capacity on the SS Aquitania would be commemorated would have been if they were killed in action.......and it survived the war. I have come across a couple of similar instances myself and they are a bit frustrating.

The best way to investigate him further would be to look him up in the Overseas G.R.O Death Indexes for the MN (someone who tracks this particular Forum section has fairly ready access - so a fresh post may be appropriate !). This will give year of death and confirm his ship...........and give a Death Certificate reference which you can then order up.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

Andy, Les, John,

Thanks for your input, the merchant man who died of natural causes sounds plausible will follow up on your suggestions.

Bob.