Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can someone decipher a notation on service record

All

I may be having a senior moment, or not seeing the forest for the trees, but can someone tell me what the attached is referring to here.

The sailor in question survived Jutland on HMS Warrior - albeit, one assumes, being taken of the ship. Interestingly, he is still listed as Warrior to the 13th June 1916  - even though she sunk 1st June 1916. IN all cases I have of a survivor, they have a new posting the very next day even though I highly expect this was a rarely the physical case.

Many thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 10.19.33 pm.png

New SC(Service Certificate) Written 12 July '16 - to replace his original SC lost on Warrior.

Edited by RNCVR

Many thanks for your help - its now quite obvious once you know what it is saying! 

Pleased to assit you.  Some of the abbreviations & entries on RN Service Certificates can be difficult to interpret.

Slightly off topic regarding your man remaining as listed on HMS Warrior after her sinking. My own Royal Navy Service Certificate records me as serving on HMS Antelope even after she was sunk by enemy action in the Falklands Conflict on 23rd May 82. I remained listed as on Antelope until I returned to UK and joined HMS Drake  Naval Barracks on 11th June. The fact that some survivors of Warrior were listed on their next ship the next day could be because Service Certificates would not show a break in dates during continuous service and the writers who annotated their SCs didn’t want a break in dates and annotated the day of joining as the next day after leaving Warrior. Perhaps the writer who annotated your man’s SC had a different idea of dating to show  continuous service or maybe he’d been given some form of survivors leave.