Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Tour October 2006

Mark Hone

I am beginning long-range planning for my school tour in October 2006. The tour will concentrate entirely on the Somme and I am looking for accommodation for up to 60 pupils within striking distance of the battlefields (ie 45 mins to an hour away at most). Unfortunately the companies that arrange school accommodation find it difficult to understand that I don't want to stay in Ypres or environs. In any case most of these companies are used to providing a standard battlefield package whereby schools only visit the Somme from Ypres. The last time I did a tour in roughly the same area (a Wilfred Owen-themed tour in 1998) we stayed in a Campanile in Douai, but it wasn't really ideal for a school group. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have heard rumours of new accommodation in the area in anticipation of the 90th anniversary. The best offer so far is a chateau near Le Touquet.

I understand there is accommodation for school groups available in Becourt chateau. I know it is used for many 'twinning' events involving children, and I have encountered a couple of UK battlefield groups that have used it. I believe you have to write (in French) to the Mairie in Albert, as they own and run it. What it is like inside I have no idea! If you can gain access to the original cellars then make sure you give me a call!

Graham Maddocks used the Chateu every year when he took tours from his school in Birkenhead. Sadly with his death the information for booking has gone but he always spoke highly of it as far as accomodation etc is concerned.

Thanks for the further advice. I have stayed a couple of times at the hotel at Rancourt, formerly owned by M. Albert Hochard, if my memory serves me correctly. It is in a wonderful location, close to a French, British and German cemetery. it was the base for the best battlefields tour I have ever been on, bar none:the WFA's 'Victory' Tour of 1988. I haven't heard anything about it in recent years. It has one problem for a school party:it is on a lethal country road along which traffic hurtles at ungodly speeds. I have seen several near accidents involving people walking up to the cemeteries there.

We used Rancourt for about 2 years with our small groups; it was a good hotel, with an excellent restaurant; it is under new ownership since you knew it Mark, and I am not sure whether they would take a school group? As you say, the road is an issue as well.