Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sjt. J.S. Owen 1/4thKORL/MGC

anthony

Hi,

Wondering if any MGC experts could perhaps help me with this one?

I know J.S. Owen(only know the initials) won the DCM at Festubert following the action of 15th and 16th June 1915, when he retrieved men from his section (and the machine gun itself) who had been buried by a shell explosion.

I believe he later won the MM in late 1916/early 1917(by then described as a sjt-major) for successfully defending his gun.I presume this was with the mgc but don't know for sure.

Although he seemed to be from Barrow in Furness, I would also like to know if he was born there and any additional info about him.

Could I be cheeky and ask for a look on the census for the family? :P

By the way my current avatar is of the man himself just so you know who you are looking for! :D

Cheers,

Anthony

Is this him? From my MGC awards list.

23765 OWEN JS SJT MM 06/01/1917 347

The Gazette doesn't list his DCM. Annoyingly, he has two separate listings in the NA medal index cards - one for the King's Own (2340, A/Sgt) and one for the MGC (23765 Sjt) So, you could miss them!

Is this him?  From my MGC awards list.

23765 OWEN JS SJT MM 06/01/1917 347

The Gazette doesn't list his DCM. Annoyingly, he has two separate listings in the NA medal index cards -  one for the  King's Own (2340, A/Sgt) and one for the MGC (23765 Sjt) So, you could miss them!

Staffs-thanks a lot.Certainly seems like him.

Found this in the Supplement to the London Gazzette 5th Aug 1915

"For conspicuos gallantry 0n 15th June 1915 at Rue D' Ouvert, when he recovered a Maxim gun under very heavy shell fire after it had been buried, and for the great assistance rendered to the men of his section when they were buried by shell fire"-Acting Sjt Owen J.S. 2340.

It took me a while to find that I seem to remember.

So his MM was won 6/1/17?

Cheers, Anthony

His three MICs seem to be one for his service records:

John S Owen (Royal Lancaster, 2340, Sgt; MGC, WO2, 23765; and MGC, RSM, 23765) on this one:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=2

and an MM or DCM card:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=2

which states Acting Sgt as rank, so presumably it was early in his career and before he joined the MGC. Probably for his DCM?

and a last one:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=4

probably for his later MM, by this time in the MGC. The MIC should state the Gazette date.

The MGC number seems pretty low. I suspect that would be one of the initial numbers, but I am certainly no expert!

Steve.

Census stuff:

There are 18 John S Owens in England in 1901 and 1404 John Owens or variants.

However, he is probably this one:

John S Owen, born Barrow in Furness, age 5 (b 1895-6), son of David (42, born Manchester, a Ferry boatman) and Frances Owen (40, born Preston).

Siblings : Sarah A Owen (17, Laundress), David Owen (15, shipyard labourer), Violet Owen (12), Mabel F Owen (3). All born in Barrow.

Address 82 Ferry Road, Barrow in Furness.

Birth registration : John Samuel Owen, Sep Quarter 1895, Barrow in Furness, Lancashire, Vol 8e, page 872

The other "Possibles" are at Pendlebury, Lancashire (age 2) and Rudheath, Cheshire (age 1)

Steve.

Steve,

You seem to have come up trumps with the census-I checked the info I have and it does say he was 20 in 1915 and at the time of his DCM his father David lived at 82 Ferry Road.

The MIC cards say that he ended up a RSM(Regimental Sjt-Major?)-that's pretty good going for a young man in his early 20s! Mind you with his record would he not have been a good candidate for a commission?

Many thanks for your help.

Anthony

Anthony,

He does seem to have been one of the "high achievers". Glad that we can recognise him and give him his full name back....

The MM date of 6-1-1917 is the London Gazette date (page 347). This Gazette was published 5-1-1917. You would need to search that date, not the 6th.

MMs tend to be gazetted up to 3 months after the date that they were won, so the award would have been Sep-Oct 1916, very approximately.

The 55th Division were in battle at Morval just North of Flers at the end of September 1916 (25-28th for the main battle). The 165th Brigade were in the main attack, not sure about the 164th. This could have been where John Owen won his MM.

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for that info. on the MM.

Certainly would be nice to know what became of him in the long run.

As you say great that we have been able to remember him and his considerable achievements today all these years on.

Thanks again,

Anthony :)