Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Assistance in Determining Text on Navy Record

I'm hoping for some assistance in determining what some of the text says on my Greatx2 Grandfathers navy record which I managed to obtain from National Archives

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8513857

Below is which are the vessels he served on although not enterily sure.

-----------------------------------
H T Sir? John Jellick
(Hull)
now? H T Jericks

?? Hannibal 17/5/18 ?5649?
Pekin from Hannibal 19/5/18 6259
Wallington from Pekin 12/7/18 6429
-----------------------------------

Wondering what the 4 digits after the date mean?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance

Screenshot_2024-05-12_09-29-33.png

Welcome to the forum!

According to  Dittmar & Colledge…..

JERICHO (ex-SIR JOHN JELLICOE), hired trawler, Adty No 1577.  Built 1914, 351grt, Hull-reg H.310. Armament: 1-12pdr.   
In service May 1915-1920.  Served as KOPANES in WW2.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

Named in some sources (in error) as JERICO.  She operated seaplanes on anti-Zeppelin patrols in 1915 but from I January 1916 she was based on HMS HANNIBAL at Alexandria, Egypt. I do not have details for JERICHO's movements later in the war but it is probable that the recorded moves to HMS VIVID (Devonport Base), HMS PEKIN (Grimsby Base) and to HMS WALLINGTON (Immingham Base) are those of JERICHO and not just of the rating.

The numbers written after the dates are unimportant ledger notations.

The lack of details of drafts, movements and discharges, etc entered on this record is disappointing but I think it can be assumed that your relative served as a deck hand in HT JERICHO for all his RNR service, taking her out to Alexandria in early 1916 and brining her back to UK in May 1918. Before moving to the Eastern Med JERICHO was based at Great Yarmouth (on HMS MIURA and HMS KINGFISHER) during 1915.

Quite an amusing rebrand.

Jellicoe to Jericho.

Someone put a lot of thought into that one.

• RussT changed the title to Assistance in Determining Text on Navy Record
18 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Quite an amusing rebrand.

Jellicoe to Jericho.

Someone put a lot of thought into that one.

@Dai Bach y Sowldiwr When spoken in a Hullensian accent they sound very similar ;)

5 hours ago, horatio2 said:

it is probable that the recorded moves to HMS VIVID (Devonport Base), HMS PEKIN (Grimsby Base) and to HMS WALLINGTON (Immingham Base) are those of JERICHO and not just of the rating.

I have to change this assessment. The deck log of HMS HANNIBAL   -   https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-01-HMS_Hannibal.htm   -   contains 23 entries at Alexandria referring to JERICHO, the latest of these being on 28 December 1918. The moves recorded between HANNIBAL, VIVID. PEKIN and WALLINGTON in May to July 1918 must, therefore. refer to this rating's drafts home from Alexandria and back in UK. No other boats are listed after May 1918 so we must assume that his drafts were ashore in those bases and he did not have an more sea-time before demob in February 1919.

Edited by horatio2