Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC? Cap/Collar badge Identification

Jollygreen07

Good evening! I recently found this photo of my great grandfather who served in the Great War. I’m trying to puzzle out his cap and collar insignia as well as the aiguillette on his left shoulder. The badge above his right breast pocket appears to be a TF Imperial Service Badge…

Any help is greatly appreciated.

image000000.png

• Admin

Welcome to the forum, does he have a name? Where did he come from? I’m not sure it’s ASC. A possible might be North Somerset Yeomanry. I await the experts. 
On his left shoulder is a lanyard, used for holding a clasp knife. 

7 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum, does he have a name? Where did he come from? I’m not sure it’s ASC. A possible might be North Somerset Yeomanry. I await the experts. 
On his left shoulder is a lanyard, used for holding a clasp knife. 

I think you’re right with Army Service Corps (ASC) Michelle and he’s Territorial Force given the Imperial Service tablet on his right breast.  It wasn’t particularly unusual for ASC to wear collar badges even when that was not authorised by Army clothing regulations.

His service dress jacket has been substantially tailored around the collar and seems to be a modified emergency simplified pattern.  It has the deep patch breast pockets and no shoulder reinforcement patches, but the collar has been cut into a standing type as per pre war undress frocks.  It therefore dates to probably late 1914 through to perhaps autumn 1915, as an approximate window.

For Jollygreen07:  The ASC were a combat service support, mounted duty corps, responsible for two specific functions in support of the Army - Supply & Transport.  The former included all that was necessary to sustain an army in the field in terms of logistics (arms, ammunition, clothing, food, water, fuel, fodder, etc.).  The latter of the two functions was divided between horsed transport and mechanical transport (both steam and internal combustion engines).  ASC men drove these vehicles and that included ambulances too.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Interesting to see such a tunic both modified and adorned with both collars and the tablet.  It is unusual to see the tablet and collars worn by the ASC in wartime and the collar modifications were not often seen in photos of that period but often in 1918 and later. 

On 08/05/2024 at 08:45, max7474 said:

Interesting to see such a tunic both modified and adorned with both collars and the tablet.  It is unusual to see the tablet and collars worn by the ASC in wartime and the collar modifications were not often seen in photos of that period but often in 1918 and later. 

Yes it is unusual I agree, he seems to have deliberately emulated the collar of the previous, 1899 service dress issued during the 2nd Anglo/Boer War, it’s not simply a rise and fall collar pulled close with hooks and eyes, but cut and tailored.  Wearing the tablet wasn’t that uncommon for the TF in 1914 and he wears a 1905 cap, so on balance an early war image is the most likely.

IMG_6659.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Wow! You folks really know your stuff! I will try to get as much info as I can from my dad. I know his last name was Pope, but beyond that I’m not sure. My dad did tell me the gentleman pictured died in the mid-20’s from an illness derived from his time on the western front. I want to say complications from meningitis from a close shell burst but I could be way off.

I’ll report back with more info.

Jollygreen07,

do you have any biographical details (not necessarily military) that you can share? Details such as full name, birthplace and date, parents names, siblings names, marital details, children, addresses and the like will assist to narrow down the possibilities and form a more accurate picture. 
I suspect you will be pleased with the contributions from some very knowledgeable members.

Simon

10 minutes ago, mancpal said:

Jollygreen07,

do you have any biographical details (not necessarily military) that you can share? Details such as full name, birthplace and date, parents names, siblings names, marital details, children, addresses and the like will assist to narrow down the possibilities and form a more accurate picture. 
I suspect you will be pleased with the contributions from some very knowledgeable members.

Simon

Simon,

I am tracking down as many details as possible. I will pass any info I can glean from my extended family to you fine folks as soon as I can.

Dan

good morning,

here is some badge, collar & title find on the ground in Artois to the Army Service Corps :

ArmyServiceCorps.JPG.f0e20a96526b105eabad845fdcce915a.JPG

michel

20 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

good morning,

here is some badge, collar & title find on the ground in Artois to the Army Service Corps :

ArmyServiceCorps.JPG.f0e20a96526b105eabad845fdcce915a.JPG

michel

A fantastic collection from the seat of the battlefield Michel, thank you for showing them.

It’s interesting to see the Expeditionary Forces Canteen (EFC) shoulder title as the ASC men who wore these were usually civilians, or reservists in uniform, on special contracts, and located largely in the more rearwards areas.

Edited by FROGSMILE

photo already presented on the forum :

EFC.JPG.3010782e0fd479896c3b3d01c0bb5aa5.JPG

michel