Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18823D . A . D MAIN . D . H . R . N . R

Harbourart

Hello,

have a British War Meda with 18823D . A . D MAIN . D.H . R . N . R stamped around the edge.

I would assume that D.H. is Deck Hand and RNR is Royal Naval Reserve. But I am stuck with the D at the end of the service number and the A before his name.

I have looked on National Archives and can't find a medal card for him but I have no idea where else to research Naval personal. So, if anyone out there can assist I will be most grateful.

Cheers,

Pete

20240508_001905~2.jpg

20240508_001914~2.jpg

20240508_001920~2.jpg

20240508_001929~2.jpg

His TNA record is here - DA 18823 Daniel Main

Deck Hands RNR (Trawler Section) serving on their first five-year period of enrolment were given RNR Official Numbers with the suffix DA. For their second period of enrolment they were given the suffix DB.

2 hours ago, Bardess said:

His TNA record is here - DA 18823 Daniel Main

Thank you Bardess.

If I'm reading this right then Daniel didn't see any active service during WW1 as he was still in training, but was called up in 1939?

If this is right would he only be entitled to the BWM?

Cheers,

Peter

40 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Deck Hands RNR (Trawler Section) serving on their first five-year period of enrolment were given RNR Official Numbers with the suffix DA. For their second period of enrolment they were given the suffix DB.

Thank you horatio2, that explains the A. 

I am now guessing he was previously a trawlerman and joined/was conscripted into the merchant navy?

Cheers,

Peter

@Harbourart to access the service record at the National Archives (as posted by Bardess) -- you need to register with the NA, it is free of charge, no input of card details needed. Once registered, you can search on his name or service number, the result will be two pages which shows some of his personal details as well as his service details.

3 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

@Harbourart to access the service record at the National Archives (as posted by Bardess) -- you need to register with the NA, it is free of charge, no input of card details needed. Once registered, you can search on his name or service number, the result will be two pages which shows some of his personal details as well as his service details.

Thanks Allan1892, I have registered with NA and downloaded docs in the past, I intend to download his record later today and hope it answers my questions.

Cheers,

Peter

Daniel Main enlisted into the Trawler Section of the Royal Naval Reseerve in November 1917 (when he was 17 years old) and was demobilised in February 1919. He was a deck hand during WW1 and served again during WW2, this time as a Skipper.

Resonable to assume that he was a professional fisherman (based in Lossiemouth) by trade.

Please revert with any further questions once you have downloaded and read his ADM doc.

MB

6 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Daniel Main enlisted into the Trawler Section of the Royal Naval Reseerve in November 1917 (when he was 17 years old) and was demobilised in February 1919. He was a deck hand during WW1 and served again during WW2, this time as a Skipper.

Resonable to assume that he was a professional fisherman (based in Lossiemouth) by trade.

Please revert with any further questions once you have downloaded and read his ADM doc.

MB

Thank you MB, this is much appreciated. 

Cheers,

Peter

What we can say was that he certainly wasn’t conscripted into the RNR(T) as (1) there was no conscription into naval service, and (2) the age of conscription for miliary service was 18.

Although he only joined late in the war, his service in the Auxiliary Patrol would have entitled him to BWM and Victory Medal, and he did serve afloat, so this certainly counts as active service.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

35 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

What we can say was that he certainly wasn’t conscripted into the RNR(T) as (1) there was no conscription into naval service, and (2) the age of conscription for miliary service was 18.

Although he only joined late in the war, his service in the Auxiliary Patrol would have entitled him to BWM and Victory Medal, and he did serve afloat, so this certainly counts as active service.

MB

Thanks again MB, I'm beginning to understand Daniel's career more.

Cheers

Peter 

Daniel MAIN’s WW1 RNR is not entirely straightforward.

It appears that he spent his RNR service in the Admiralty trawler HMS BRAZIL BRASBY – Strath-class, Admiralty No.3631. Launched 31 Oct 1917, Hall Russell, Aberdeen. 215grt/311 tons/429 tons deep, 123(oa), 115x22x12ft. TE 430ihp, 10.5kts. Armament: 1-12pdr, 1-3.5in BT. Crew: 15, up to 18 with wireless. Served as hydrophone vessel. Sold 17.5.19 

BRAZIL BRASBY was first based atCromarty Firth/Peterhead (parented by HMS THALIA) from 26 Nov 1917 but was within days moved south to Devonport (parented by HMMS  VIVID III) on 29 Nov where Daniel MAIN joined her as a Deck Hand.

The trawler was then, from 1 Jul 1918, based at Portland on HMS RESEARCH. However, MAIN’s record shows that he was borne on the books of HMS SAREPTA, the Experimental Hydrophone Establishment at Portland. It is highly likely that he remained in the ship’s company of  BRAZIL BRASBY while she was working under the orders of HMS SAREPTA.

On 2 Sep 1918 the trawler moved again to be parented by HMS VENERABLE and probably based initially at Falmouth. After working in several different operational areas around UK under VENERABLE, BRAZIL BRASBY had her final move of the war, this time to HMS IDAHO, the trawler base at Milford Haven, on 22 Jan 1919, from where he was demobilised two months later.

The precise date-matching of MAIN’s movements in his RNR record and the known base-changes for BRAZIL BRASBY are indicative of his continuous service in that trawler for his entire RNR time.

Edited by horatio2

2 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Daniel MAIN’s WW1 RNR is not entirely straightforward.

It appears that he spent his RNR service in the Admiralty trawler HMS BRAZIL BRASBY – Strath-class, Admiralty No.3631. Launched 31 Oct 1917, Hall Russell, Aberdeen. 215grt/311 tons/429 tons deep, 123(oa), 115x22x12ft. TE 430ihp, 10.5kts. Armament: 1-12pdr, 1-3.5in BT. Crew: 15, up to 18 with wireless. Served as hydrophone vessel. Sold 17.5.19 

BRAZIL BRASBY was first based atCromarty Firth/Peterhead (parented by HMS THALIA) from 26 Nov 1917 but was within days moved south to Devonport (parented by HMMS  VIVID III) on 29 Nov where Daniel MAIN joined her as a Deck Hand.

The trawler was then, from 1 Jul 1918, based at Portland on HMS RESEARCH. However, MAIN’s record shows that he was borne on the books of HMS SAREPTA, the Experimental Hydrophone Establishment at Portland. It is highly likely that he remained in the ship’s company of  BRAZIL BRASBY while she was working under the orders of HMS SAREPTA.

On 2 Sep 1918 the trawler moved again to be parented by HMS VENERABLE and probably based initially at Falmouth. After working in several different operational areas around UK under VENERABLE, BRAZIL BRASBY had her final move of the war, this time to HMS IDAHO, the trawler base at Milford Haven, on 22 Jan 1919, from where he was demobilised two months later.

The precise date-matching of MAIN’s movements in his RNR record and the known base-changes for BRAZIL BRASBY are indicative of his continuous service in that trawler for his entire RNR time.

Wow horatio2 that's amazing!

Thank you for that I would never discovered so much information.

Cheers

Peter