Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Naval Ammunition Train

CJinPowys

The War Diary for the 3rd Battalion, British West Indies Regiment for the 10th July 1917 records being shelled by the subject force. The 3rd Battalion was stationed outside Furnes (now Veurne) and the Ammunition Train was operating from St Idesbalde. There appears to be 9 dead, 8 buried in Adinkekke and one on Coxyde. 

This appears to be 'friendly fire' although the War Diary just states it as a matter of fact.

I cannot trace the 8th Naval Ammunition Train online or at The National Archives. I would like to see their War Diary to confirm or deny my assumption.

Can anybody assist?

Thanks in advance.

Colin Chamberlain, Powys, Wales.

• Admin
5 hours ago, CJinPowys said:

The War Diary for the 3rd Battalion, British West Indies Regiment for the 10th July 1917 records being shelled by the subject force. The 3rd Battalion was stationed outside Furnes (now Veurne) and the Ammunition Train was operating from St Idesbalde. There appears to be 9 dead, 8 buried in Adinkekke and one on Coxyde. 

This appears to be 'friendly fire' although the War Diary just states it as a matter of fact.

I cannot trace the 8th Naval Ammunition Train online or at The National Archives. I would like to see their War Diary to confirm or deny my assumption.

Can anybody assist?

Thanks in advance.

Colin Chamberlain, Powys, Wales.

I noticed your post Colin and thought to investigate,

this will also bump you back up to the top and someone with knowledge  about this particular subject may see it.

I know little about the RND, perhaps it is time for me to look into it a little.

I am presuming that the 8th Naval Ammunition Train is part of the RND, ergo the 63rd (RN) Division?

From @Ron Cliftons most helpful list of war diaries, which gives us these numbers.

WO 95 3093 to WO 95 3119  I France 63rd (RN) Division.

If you have been through these and found nothing please accept my apologies for getting your hopes up.

looking through the list I can give you an ammunition column WD ; https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7355440

I realise it says 'column'  not  'train'.

There are artillery diaries in there too.

I hope this helps, rather than confuses.

Regards, Bob.

I read the entry as 'Camp shelled by 8" Naval. Ammunition Train at St. Idesbalde blown up. Casualties...'  

The camp was shelled by an 8 inch Naval gun and the ammunition train was also shelled and blown up, ie two separate incidents. The battalion is recorded as providing working parties for the ammunition dump (stationed at St. Idesbalde Station) where the casualties took place. In this instance the ammunition train is literally that, a locomotive laidened with ammunition.

• Admin
5 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

I read the entry as 'Camp shelled by 8" Naval. Ammunition Train at St. Idesbalde blown up. Casualties...'  

The camp was shelled by an 8 inch Naval gun and the ammunition train was also shelled and blown up, ie two separate incidents. The battalion is recorded as providing working parties for the ammunition dump (stationed at St. Idesbalde Station) where the casualties took place. In this instance the ammunition train is literally that, a locomotive laidened with ammunition.

Thank you jay, that is appreciated, I have more reading to do.

Thank you, jay dubaya.

I've now found out a little more by searching "Coxyde" on this site.

You are correct in your interpretation of events. In Chris Baker's 'From the Channel to the Ypres Salient' on page 233, he states that the eight casualties buried at Adinkekke were killed together when a long-range German shell exploded and blew up an ammunition train they were unloading at St Idesbald Station.

This all stems from researching William Leonard STEWART, who died on 10th July 1917 and is buried in Coxyde Military Cemetery. My thought is that he was wounded in the same incident and died in a CCS based locally instead of being killed instantly.

Thanks to all who reponded.

Colin Chamberlain

The Soldiers Effects Register has two entries for Stewart, one records he died of wounds.

D5D62E0C-6810-4146-A587-7AF94CDC355F.jpeg.5c0bec773f798c645aff94ce445496a6.jpeg

On 08/05/2024 at 10:15, CJinPowys said:

...  In Chris Baker's 'From the Channel to the Ypres Salient' on page 233, he states ...

Good lord. Someone's read it! Thank you.

Just for clarity. An ammunition train was not the same thing as an ammunition column. It wasn't obliged to record a war diary.