Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cheshire Regiment Officer Patch

Raster Scanning

Is there someone who might be able to suggest the battalion of this Cheshire Officer from the patch? two colour horizontal split. I can then trawl through battalion resources to hopefully name him.

Thanks

IMG_20240507_0002 2.jpg

Edited by Raster Scanning
additional tag

3 hours ago, Raster Scanning said:

Is there someone who might be able to suggest the battalion of this Cheshire Officer from the patch? two colour horizontal split. I can then trawl through battalion resources to hopefully name him.

Thanks

IMG_20240507_0002 2.jpg

I can’t find anything listed for any Kitchener (‘Service’) Battalion or Regular Battalion, which suggests that he’s from a Territorial Force unit.  Forum member @poona guard is an SME in this area and might perhaps be able to help.

Do you have a date for the photo or where it was taken?

Posted (edited)

Thanks both for your replies. Sadly it is a picture I have had for years mounted to some brown paper so I cannot see the back even. I am in the process of carefully removing the backing paper so if anything is on the back I will post it here, but I suspect it is unlikely. No information on location of studio or date. Sorry. 

Edited by Raster Scanning

4 hours ago, Raster Scanning said:

Thanks both for your replies. Sadly it is a picture I have had for years mounted to some brown paper so I cannot see the back even. I am in the process of carefully removing the backing paper so if anything is on the back I will post it here, nut I suspect it is unlikely. No information on location of studio or date. Sorry. 

The shape reminds me of the 29th Infantry Division, whose badge was usually worn in that upper arm position, but was coloured all red.  How positive are you that there’re two colours divided horizontally as you state?

IMG_4072.jpeg

IMG_4073.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello.

I only stated it appears to be 2 colours from how it appears in the picture. To my eyes there is a clear difference, with the top half appearing darker.

1 minute ago, Raster Scanning said:

Hello.

I only stated it appears to be 2 colours from how it appears in the picture. To my eyes there is a clear difference, with the top half appearing darker.

Okay I understand.  I can’t say with confidence that I see that too, but I don’t know if there was such a thing for a TF battalion of the Cheshires.  I suggest that you look to see if there were any Cheshire Regt units with the 29th Division to either rule it in, or out.

The question is do we think it is red or yellow?

5 minutes ago, poona guard said:

The question is do we think it is red or yellow?

It looks dark enough to be red I think.  If I recall correctly yellow presents as a medium tone in comparison with red that shows a little darker.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I’ve looked at the photo a number of times today and I can only see a triangle in a single colour, I really can’t see a bottom half in a different colour. 
The film process of the era (orthochromatic) I am partially familiar with due to topics featuring identification of medal ribbons . Perhaps the red or yellow patch discussion could be assisted by comparison with a photograph that has a confirmed item of a specific colour.

Simon

Not me I’m afraid. Lancashire Fusiliers hackle springs to mind for yellow. I don’t yet know how shades of a specific colour vary in photography of the era. Was it a case of the paler the actual colour, the darker it appears in print?

Simon

34 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Good idea Simon. Anyone got one?

Here’s an example using Gordon Highlanders yellow facings on scarlet full dress (see below the medium tone it creates): 

IMG_4086.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

search ORTHO or ORTHOCHROMATIC.

Unfortunately two other factors govern grey shades on period photos: pastel v black mixtures, and surface reflectance./ reflectivity/ texture.

For the record I can only see one shade of very dark grey on the OP shown.

And this one of the Hampshire Regiment, a little darker here, but still I think within the mid tone (note yellow cuffs contrast with scarlet sleeve) when compared with the darker badge on subject officer.

IMG_4087.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The shape reminds me of the 29th Infantry Division, whose badge was usually worn in that upper arm position, but was coloured all red.  How positive are you that there’s two colours divided horizontally as you state?

IMG_4072.jpeg

IMG_4073.jpeg

good evening,

this is one picture who are taking this week end in Beaumont Hamel whithout the sun :

29th Monument :

DSC_0051.JPG.e53309a9c590a4dd2fcfd6079acfa76e.JPG

michel

Michel,

that really is a good thought.

Simon

27 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

And this one of the Hampshire Regiment, a little darker here, but still I think within the mid tone (note yellow cuffs contrast with scarlet sleeve) when compared with the darker badge on subject officer.

IMG_4087.jpeg

This is a good example of the possible effect of light falling on texture.

Yes the yellow cuff is paler than the adjacent scarlet sleeve, but the cuff grey tone is very much like the tunic scarlet grey tone high up the chest.

14 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

good evening,

this is one picture who are taking this week end in Beaumont Hamel whithout the sun :

29th Monument :

DSC_0051.JPG.e53309a9c590a4dd2fcfd6079acfa76e.JPG

michel

Thank you Michel.  It is a fine and relatively well known monument.

5 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

This is a good example of the possible effect of light falling on texture.

Yes the yellow cuff is paler than the adjacent scarlet sleeve, but the cuff grey tone is very much like the tunic scarlet grey tone high up the chest.

Yes I realise that there are tonal values according to light and shade.

I’m trying not to get too complicated and focus in specifically on the comparison with the cloth arm badge on subject officer, as proposed by Simon.

Edited by FROGSMILE

How about a confirmed orthochromatic colour patch against khaki uniform as opposed to scarlet? It might help.

Simon

2 hours ago, mancpal said:

How about a confirmed orthochromatic colour patch against khaki uniform as opposed to scarlet? It might help.

BWM & V Orthochromatic medal ribbon comparison picture.jpg

Hi,

There is an Illustration in Beckhurst's

WW1 British Battle insignia book of a 7 Cheshire wearing a yellow triangle on the sleeve and back with a diamond on the helmet.

Ken

31 minutes ago, KENDO said:

Hi,

There is an Illustration in Beckhurst's

WW1 British Battle insignia book of a 7 Cheshire wearing a yellow triangle on the sleeve and back with a diamond on the helmet.

Ken

That’s very helpful Ken, thank you.

😀👍

If he was a Territorial Force, then the numerial T would appear on the collar underneath the Acorn and Oakleafs