Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stand To written by Captain Francis Clere Hitchcock MC

Gerry reid

I'm looking for anyone with information on Captain Hitchcock 

You  will need to give more than that.

All you have so far is different names "C Y " and "F C"

You need to say what you know like who he was, where he lived. his regiment, his family, etc

• kenf48 changed the title to Stand To written by Captain Francis Clere Hitchcock MC
  • Admin
1 hour ago, Gerry reid said:

I'm looking for anyone with information on Captain Hitchcock 

Welcome to the GWF

I have made the assumption you are referring to the author of "Stand To - A diary of the Trenches 1915 - 1918" Captain Francis Clere Hitchcock MC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Clere_Hitchcock

I have amended the title to reflect this and edited your initial post.  f this is not the person you are researching perhaps, as noted above, you could tell us a little more.

Images thanks to WFA/Fold3

Medal Index Card

image.png.c2eb726937f8d37222e63d660ec6468f.png

Pension index card

image.png.0c4c155e6acbf3065f97160ca58e7a12.png

His widow's claim hence the OAF [Officers Army Family] reference

From the OA {Officers Army] reference we can deduce he had previously put in a disability claim

- both also show East Surrey Regiment

M

• Admin

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352345

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353322

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353590

Should you wish to read them, war diaries are in the links above. Free after you register, also free. I see your grandfather landed in France in September 1914. 

• Admin

@Gerry reid

Sorry to be pedantic but seeking further clarification:

Are you researching the gallant Captain Hitchcock MC  or the equally courageous Pte 8030 Peter Reid MM?

Thanks everyone, I'm terrible with modern technology so it's going to take time for me to look things up and respond, so thanks for your patience. 

• Admin

I’ve given you the links to the war diaries further up in the thread. 

Francis Clere HITCHCOCK

Given his later service and reaching rank of Lt Col I suspect [though don't know for sure] this officer's papers might still with the MoD and accessible from MoD/TNA

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service/apply-for-the-records-of-a-deceased-serviceperson

???

M

Francis Clere HITCHCOCK

MC citation. from https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29968/supplement/2194

2nd Lt. (actg. Capt.) Francis Clere Hitchcock, Leins. R. For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led a successful raid against the enemy with great gallantry. After gaining touch with both flank parties, he reconnoitered the enemy's line, bombed several dugouts, shot a sentry and captured a prisoner.

I recall there is a register/ledger of clippings of LG DSO and MC citations and digitised at TNA - hand-annotated with place of the action and date.  Unfortunately it is an nightmare to access at via TNA [well I find it so] but I think it has been elsewhere digitised and made available via another source like Ancestry or Find My Past or ??? - I can't access but other members might perhaps be able to offer assistance with this.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Hi,

The hand annotated version of the citation, giving date and place:

image.png.5a8121d31d8bedbf983716eaf686db59.png
Image sourced from the National Archives

Regards
Chris

• Admin
1 hour ago, Gerry reid said:

I'm researching a bit of both really. Any information regarding the 2nd battalion c company in particular would help me.as I said I plan to go back to ypres in July to follow there movements around the area.his partner in crime was called morrisey they were inseparable throughout this period but I don't no what happened to this gentleman after my grandfather was injured at guillemont. 

I have opened  a new thread for Private Reid

and split the relevant posts into that thread

and notified @Gerry reid

Francis Clere HITCHCOCK

44 minutes ago, clk said:

The hand annotated version of the citation, giving date and place:

image.png.5a8121d31d8bedbf983716eaf686db59.png
Image sourced from the National Archives

Expand  

Many thanks to @clk for finding/providing the annotated citation with its valuable extra info.

M

Hi all I can only apologise if I'm adding any confusion to you all,as said before I'm terrible with technical issues and don't really no how to work computers etc.thanks for all your help.

3 minutes ago, Gerry reid said:

I can only apologise if I'm adding any confusion to you all,as said before I'm terrible with technical issues and don't really no how to work computers etc.

Hey, don't worry about it.  We all started that way!  We're still happy to help. :)

M

At one time, the National Museum (Collins Barracks) in Dublin had a very small digital display where you could navigate through Hitchcock;s original papers, diary, photographs. newspaper cutting etc. It was a treasury trove of information for someone interested in the Battalion's history. However the device was really small and it was very difficult to read. Nor did I have the time to study it at the time.  The diary included group photos with names on the back. (see images). 

Does anyone know where Hitchcock's original papers are housed and where they could be viewed? 

IMG_8421.JPG

IMG_8422.JPG

This information is very useful, thank you.if anyone knows where originals are held it would be amazing. 

I visited the National Museum in the old barracks in Dublin in  May 2023 and was delighted to see a good number of Hitchcock's photos, etc., in a display about him and his experiences- the man himself, officers and men of his battalion, Guillemont, etc. I guess the National Museum in the barracks holds his papers, or if not, they would know where they are held. He was an excellent officer and a fine writer.

Michael

Thanks,I will get onto this ASAP.My nephew lives in Dublin so I will ask him to pay a visit.great stuff thanks.

Hitchcock’s classic work from 1937.

IMG_0925.jpeg.1da48b0e08f268ab4581c943464288a3.jpeg