Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Denis Metro Station North of Paris

Tom Morgan

I believe the St. Denis Metro Station is the northern "end of the line." Can any Pal tell me how easy it is to find from the A1 Motorway? I have to pick two friends up from there and have never done this particular journey before.

Tom

Wish I could help you Tom, but I normally give Paris a wide berth, except for the airport or if I am coming by train (and then I find the Metro bizarrely French). Have you tried looking for any clues on the French site:

http://www.mappy.com/

Tom

Is it St Denis (Porte de Paris) or Metro Basilique de St Denis or Metro St Denis Universite. If it is Porte de Paris then its a piece of cake as the A1 is only about 200 m away (exit 3), if it is the University then I'm afraid it can be a nightmare depending on what time of day it is.

Good luck

Andy

Paul - I usually avoid the place too, although I did have one nightmare afternoon getting into Paris towing a caravan, finding the Bois de Boulogne campsite, finding it was closed, and then having to get out of Paris again. I prefer to linit my Parisian forays to Charles de Gaulle Airport, too.

Max - thanks for the information. I didn't realise there were three possibles. My friends will soon be getting a message telling them to make it St. Denis (Porte de Paris.)

Thanks again both -

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

As a final report on this subject - I had a recce on Friday afternoon and found the St. Denis (Porte de Paris) Metro station. The problem was getting out of Paris again, although I finally made it.

Deciding I may as well hang for a sheep as for a lamb, I decided that when I went to collect my friends later that day I'd drive to their hotel in the centre of Paris. I did that at 7 p.m. on Friday evening.

It was very "interesting" and I think I've just about recovered now.

Tom

Driving in Paris just aint worthwhile and the metro is great. A few years ago a pal and I were attempting to bypass Paris but I went a bit too far, nearly out of gas, came out of a tunnel and saw ... the Arc! I about died, rush hour too awful.

ANother time I took a woman there, went to Tallivent, an absolutely top and very expensive restaurant, blew off more money than you would believe. The party next to me looked like the King of Japan with wife and daughter, you should have seen the jewelry!

After spending this huge amount of money the maitre d asked if he could get a cab for me, told him no thanks was taking the metro! :lol: His very professional jaw literally dropped! I must have been the 1st customer to spend that much money and admit to taking the metro!

I must say I have no trouble at all with French people in Paris or elsewhere. On our recent USA WFA trip they could not have been nicer, surprising some of the French bashers I think.

I must say I have no trouble at all with French people in Paris or elsewhere. On our recent USA WFA trip they could not have been nicer, surprising some of the French bashers I think.

The thing to remember is that metro staff are rude to everyone, so don't assume they have singled you out as a tourist.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing. BE VARY CAREFUL on the Metro. Pickpockets are a career opportunity down there.

I even know someone who was given his wallet back by them (after the money had beent aken). It's utterly brazen.

I had mine stolen when someone 'dropped' a pack of cigarettes on the floor and thenpulled my leg from under me (I had my hand in my pockets to stop a pickpocket) and then as I staggered and waved my arms, grabbed my wallet.