Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this number a date?

Alisonwallis

Hi, I’ve found some of my late fathers war collectables and was wondering if this shell case is the date it was made please. And are they collectable? Thanks

image.jpg.c2ff301571bbe9f7394e340e197dd392.jpg

Hello, Allisonwallis -

Yes, the "1894" is the date of manufacture by the Berndorf munitions factory in Austria.

What are the measurements of the mouth and length?  A photograph taken from the side would help determine more about your piece.

If it is unaltered, it is indeed collectible.  There are number of shell case collectors who I believe would be pleased to add it to a collection.

Regards, Torrey

image.jpg.05d4cb0cf7015b4f3edaa17dc2be4d3c.jpg

Hello Torrie

Thank you for responding. The top of the shell is 38mm and the height is 93mm. 
Sorry a rather poor photo below. It needs to be shot in daylight really. 

• Admin
12 hours ago, Alisonwallis said:

I’ve found some of my late fathers war collectables and was wondering if this shell case is the date it was made please.

Welcome to the Great War Forum

As the name suggests this forum is concerned with research into the soldiers and history of the Great War 1914 - 1919. We do not offer valuation on any items nor are we concerned with an item manufactured twenty years before that conflict.

The item has been identified and dated and we suggest any further research is undertaken using the Personal Message facility.

This topic is locked.

• GWF TEAM locked this topic