Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Breech Covers

MarkP

Hi, just wondering if anyone can identify this breech cover, for an SMLE??image.jpeg.7af88c1a50544d7d3f9570c870a636b6.jpegimage.jpeg.4bcf35e588598e9df2c744601aa8c1a0.jpegimage.jpeg.fbb2aa77ecd83f3647a5baab406ddadf.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hugh Carson is Canadian.  I don’t know much about these but have read that the bolt knob reinforce is a feature of WW2 covers, though it has 2 different hole patterns for the tie, so I’m unsure what to make of it.

It appears to be a WW2 cover with additional eyelets added for the lace in a position where you’d expect to find them on a Great War example - the other pair of eyelets are clearly present. The presence of the oval reinforcing patch for the bolt knob is a WW2 feature, or certainly post Great War. All that said, I’ve never seen an example of a WW2 cover altered in such a way - generally fakers take a WW2 cover and simply add a very unconvincing ME CO 1915 stamp, or something similar.
I suppose it’s not inconceivable that it is a Great War cover that’s been officially modified to bring it up to WW2 spec, although very unlikely. The fasteners are also of a type associated with WW2 covers.

Previously discussed in this thread -