Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An RAMC 1914/15 Star Trio to 1760 Pte & A/Cpl Harold William Endell plus WW1 French Croix de Guerre dated 1914-1818

Old Owl

Hi All,

This Trio came as part of a family grouping but has me a little mystified because his MIC shows him as 1760 Pte RAMC and 424550 L/Cpl 10th London Regt. His first theatre of war is (3) Egypt (aka Gallipoli) from 24/8/15. The medals are all named to the RAMC, (Pte on the Star and A/Cpl on the pair).

My questions are:

1) Does this mean that he was attached to the 10th Londons as a medic or did he simply transfer to them before the end of the war?

2) Can anyone verify the Croix de Guerre? or suggest if it could have been awarded to him as a medic or whilst with the 10th Bn London Regt.

The Croix de Guerre also has a Bronze Star on the ribbon--is this a divisional award?

Any help or pointers much appreciated,

TIA, Robert

The medal roll answers your first question . He was RAMC until 4/9/18 thereafter 10th London. This change took place in theatre 4b.

Worth looking at the roll which gives further dates and service number!

Edited by charlie962

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

The medal roll answers your first question . He was RAMC until 4/9/18 thereafter 10th London. This change took place in theatre 4b.

Worth looking at the roll which gives further dates and service number!

Many thanks Charlie--I always forget that the medal rolls can provide such info--I have now printed off the relevant page.

Best, Robert

Hi

I can not find him in the LG nor do I have him as one of those non gazetted, but that does not mean he was not awarded a CdG. The WD of both units would be first look and his local newspapers.

If you do confirm his award could you please let me know to add to my data base.

Cheers

Peter

6 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Hi

I can not find him in the LG nor do I have him as one of those non gazetted, but that does not mean he was not awarded a CdG. The WD of both units would be first look and his local newspapers.

If you do confirm his award could you please let me know to add to my data base.

Cheers

Peter

Many thanks Peter--I have checked the newspapers with no luck--looks like the war diaries will have to be my next port of call.

Best, Robert