Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adolf Hitler painting of sunken road Bayenwald, looking for location

Andy davidson

Hi

Off to Ypres in August and looking for the above exact location. The road Voormezelestraat runs north to south past Croonaert chapel cemetery on the right ( if driving ) or on the left if looking at Google maps. Is the spot of the drawing on this spot or is it down the lane where the preserved trenches are, thanks in advance

Andy

Edited by Andy davidson
Miss spelt

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Andy davidson said:

Hi

Off to Ypres in August and looking for the above exact location. The road Voormezelestraat runs north to south past Croonaert chapel cemetery on the right ( if driving ) or on the left if looking at Google maps. Is the spot of the drawing on this spot or is it down the lane where the preserved trenches are, thanks in advance

Andy

Screenshot_2024-05-04-21-04-52-414_com.google.android_apps_maps.jpg.1befa777d255a0aa7fd8353c3cfac564.jpg

Screenshot_2024-05-04-16-32-03-466_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Edited by Andy davidson

Note that the 'current' Bayernwald trenches represent the new line established during 1916, slightly behind the original front line (abandoned in part due to persistent flooding).

https://www.royalsaxonarmy.co.uk/index.php/articles/26-a-teacher-in-the-trenches-ir-182-at-wytschaete-january-1916

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, bierast said:

Note that the 'current' Bayernwald trenches represent the new line established during 1916, slightly behind the original front line (abandoned in part due to persistent flooding).

https://www.royalsaxonarmy.co.uk/index.php/articles/26-a-teacher-in-the-trenches-ir-182-at-wytschaete-january-1916

Thank you for the link, I think I will also  park at the chapel and walk until I see something that resembles a photo of the spot in Major and Mrs Holts Ypres guide, and read your link,  looking forward to a good wander around

Edited by Andy davidson

Andy,

It has all been done before. I was a co-author of "Bayernwald. Het Croonaertbos in de Eerste Wereldoorlog" and there we concluded that it shows the Sunken Road near Red Château. The sunken road is still visible next to the Vierstraat nowadays (unfortunately google maps doesn't allow me to put a link here of the view nowadays).

It's not near Bayernwald but along the southwestern edge of Grand Bois.

Jan

52 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

concluded that it shows the Sunken Road near Red Château

Jan, is this the one you mean?  Click to enlarge.  Cheers, Bill

image.png.0034255542d4cb33386118b69ca5366d.png

1 hour ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Indeed, a bit further down the road (in the direction of Wijtschate), you can still see the sunken road in the field.

6 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Andy,

It has all been done before. I was a co-author of "Bayernwald. Het Croonaertbos in de Eerste Wereldoorlog" and there we concluded that it shows the Sunken Road near Red Château. The sunken road is still visible next to the Vierstraat nowadays (unfortunately google maps doesn't allow me to put a link here of the view nowadays).

It's not near Bayernwald but along the southwestern edge of Grand Bois.

Jan

Many many thanks, I look forward to being there in August 

5 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Superb and thanks 👍🏻