Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Evan Brindle Jones, wounded officer file query

clive_hughes

Hi folks,

Writing up another of my Anglesey casualties, namely Evan Brindle Jones from the County town Llangefni who was commissioned into the 19th (Bantams) Bn. Royal Welsh Fusiliers and sadly died just one day before the end of the War, on 10 November 1918. 

I have a reasonable amount on him from Censuses and newspapers, as well as the unit war diary, but I don't know whether his official Officer File (WO 374 or 339?) has survived?  I have his commissioning dates, beginning as a Tempy. 2nd Lieutenant 25 Feb. 1915, but he may have had Other Rank service or not - he was certainly a member of his College OTC in 1911 so maybe he didn't need to show any other service?  

On 4 July 1916, on his unit's second trench tour and barely a month after landing in France, he was apparently wounded by shellfire.  I assume he was invalided home, and there's nothing then until a local newspaper report on 17 January 1917 that he had resigned his commission owing to wounds.  He had returned to his pre-war studies at Aberystwyth University, gaining a B.Sc. degree by July the same year, and was later persuaded to become a teacher at his former school in Llangefni. 

He fell ill after just five weeks in the role, and died of pneumonia as above, aged 25 (maybe yet another casualty of the flu epidemic).  He is on several local war memorials, and his grave has CWGC status.  

Can anyone please refresh my memory as regards official sources which survive and can be checked?  

Many thanks,

Clive

David,

Thank you very much for that prompt response!  

Clive

Silver War Badge listed on MIC [so there should be a SWB list somewhere] ... as Captain, as is his CWGC also Captain

London Gazette should be available for promotions [sadly a beggar to search!] - typically would be listed as E. B. JONES rather than full names

For promotion to Lt I would suggest 18 months after commission

This rather looks like his relinquishing of his commission https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29811/supplement/10624

M

Thanks very much indeed, Matlock,

A local newspaper repeated the basic information almost verbatim, but that wasn't until 17 Feb. 1917.  

He appears to have been made Temp. Lieutenant from 1 June 1915 (barely 3 months after initial commissioning) and Temp. Captain from 1 September 1915 (6 months ditto), so he had risen pretty rapidly.  

Clive

Hi Matlock,

Just a follow-up query; I haven't been able to access Evan B Jones' MIC, though I have seen the relevant Silver War Badge list (his was numbered 3415).  

Could you please post a link for the medals?  I assume given his unit's date of proceeding overseas that he was entitled to the BWM and Victory.

Thanks,

Clive

6 minutes ago, clive_hughes said:

Just a follow-up query; I haven't been able to access Evan B Jones' MIC,

Ha, I think you have been concentrating too much on the Evan and not enough on the Brindle :D

I've not found MIC for medals [yet?] but I think only for his SWB.

image.png.f6c443d7eb356c59375d2b5229931b62.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

M

On 04/05/2024 at 16:11, clive_hughes said:

a local newspaper report on 17 January 1917 that he had resigned his commission owing to wounds. 

The LG records https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29811/supplement/10624 Temp. Capt. E. B. Jones relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health. 3 Nov. 1916 [my bold]

That doesn't necessarily rule out wounds but usually they are mentioned if the case..

M

On 04/05/2024 at 17:11, clive_hughes said:

4 July 1916, on his unit's second trench tour and barely a month after landing in France, he was apparently wounded by shellfire.  I assume he was invalided home

Hospital Admission on Findmypast confirms this.

Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital At Millbank

Admitted 8/7/16 discharged 11/7/16, gsw rt thigh. 1yr8mths service , 5 weeks FieldForce.

Thank you both very much.  I hope that the service file once received will clarify what happened to him.

Clive