Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

50th Division

les 1RHA

hello everyone,

This weekend is also the 90th anniversary of the 50th TF division being rushed up to fill the gap left in the line after the French colonial troops fled the gas. The division had only landed in France a few days earlier, and were thrust straight into the line without any trench experience, any comments or information on this will be most welcome, as i have a family interest in this thanks

les

I had the pleasure of knowing and corresponding with Jack Dorgan, a veteran of the 1/7th Northumberland Fusiliers, who 90 years ago was in his first battle. Jack was an early member of the WFA, and attended all their meetings. He also revisted the battlefields on many occasions in the 70s and 80s. Jack's letters were mini-essays; I wish I could quote one for you, but I once lent them to someone 'writing a book on 2nd Ypres' and never got them back. Jack has long since faded away... with remembrance there is always a tinge of sadness... I shall be thinking of Jack and his mates as their marched towards St Julien... nine decades ago tonight...

Les

I am posting extracts from the War Diary of the 6th Battalion N.F. who were part of the 50th Div. alongside the 7th Batt. N.F. at 2nd Ypres.

And also an extract from a 6th Batt. man written on the 22nd April.

Sorry. Can't do the link but it is in 90th Anniversary section.

20th - 26th April The Northumberland Brigade.

Paul.

How despicable for someone not to return the Jack Dorgan documents to you. Was the book ever published?

Kate

thanks Paul and Kate, i met you in the Mayors pub Paul, i was was on a trip around the battlefields, my interest is mainly the 1/5th bn Yorkshire Regiment 150th Brigade and the other bn's and regiments in that brigade, as my Grandfather went into action at st julien and st jean, he survived that action but was killed in the trenches near sanctuary wood, through reading other peoples research and my own i have pinpointed near as dammit where the trench was in January 1916 so hopefully on my next visit to Wipers, i will be able to stand where his bn did some of their trench holding.

thanks to all who read and respond to my post

hi Kate, just looked and read your extracts, its really great to find so many people caring to find out about lost reletives, and how and where they Did Their Bit,

Thanks les

thanks Paul and Kate, i met you in the Mayors pub Paul, i was was on a trip around the battlefields,

Hi - if you see me there again, say hello won't you. Not that I live in the place... !! :lol: