Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl Robert Henry Morris R.G.A.

Gardenerbill

I first posted Roberts picture in the Postcards topic in 2021, he attested 29-05-1916 Age 30 Yrs and was one of my wife's a great uncles.  I have his paybook, medals and service papers. He served in the 277th Siege Battery R.G.A. I have completed my research on Robert and final got around to mounting his medals etc.

RobertHenryMorrisDisplay.jpg.d6f3c56d1a8fc22340dfc1a8269c7701.jpg

Here is the text:

Robert Henry Morris was born in Pendleton, Salford 1886 and in 1901 age 14, he was working as an apprentice upholsterer. He was 28 years old when he married Edith Livingstone at St Annes Church, Sale on 30th May 1914. Two years later Robert enlisted into the Army under the Derby Scheme in May 1916, age 30.

On 24th October 1916 he was posted as a Gunner to the 277th Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. He arrived in Le Havre, France with the 277th on 22nd March 1917, moving to Poperinghe near Ypres where the battery set up gun positions and went into action. In June 1917 the 277th were in action at the Battle of Messines and on 28th Robert was appointed Acting Bombardier. Robert was appointed Bombardier 18th September 1917, when his unit were in action during the third Battle of Ypres. The 277th were in action again at the Battle Cambrai in November 1917.

On 21st January 1918 Robert achieved his final promotion to Corporal. The 277th were involved in the rear-guard action that successfully repelled the German offensive in March 1918. In the summer of 1918, the 277th took part in the assault on the Hindenburg Line and the advance to Belgium, which resulted in German defeat and the Armistice in November 1918.

Robert was transferred to the Army Reserve on demobilisation 28th February 1919 and returned to Sale. Robert and Ediths only child, Joan was born on 25th December 1923. Sadly, Robert died of septicaemia age just 49 on 10th April 1936 and is buried in the graveyard at St Martins Church Ashton-on-Mersey. 

A/Cpl Robert Henry MORRIS, 92119, R.G.A.

At WFA/Fold3 there is a pension index card and a pension ledger page.

Discharged 28/2/19

Initially awarded 6/- pw from 1.3.19 [Under the 1918 RW that was the 20% rate for a pension Class IV NCO / Corporal]

.... Shows he claimed for being Gassed ... less than 20% [@ circa 28/6/20] - sadly we don't have his full Awards File.

There is however also this at TNA, but not digitised https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C17189748 

Reference:MH 106/2251/782

Description: Folio(s): 797.

Name: Robert Henry Morris.

Unit/Battalion/Regiment: 277 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery.

Service number: 92119.

Hospital(s): Lord Derby's War Hospital, Warrington; Royal Artillery and Tank Corps Command Depot, Catterick.

Condition/Injury/Disease: Operation for Haemorrhoids.

Details and Outcome: Patient admitted suffering with haemorrhoids. During course of treatment patient underwent two operations. Arrived at Catterick Command Depot 16 September 1918. Further details given. Discharged to Draft 23 October 1918. Civil Occupation: Upholsterer. Includes a medical case sheet only.

Number of Pages: 1.

Date: 1918 Mar 22 - 1918 Oct 23

M

P.S. Nice display - glad you got round to it. 

Hope my post hasn't spoiled your thread or his text. :ph34r:

Thanks @Matlock1418 for the additional information, I was not aware of him being gassed or having Haemorrhoids! I don't think I need to change to the text in the display, not sure he would have been pleased to be remembered for a rather unfortunate medical condition.  

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

Thanks @Matlock1418 for the additional information, I was not aware of him being gassed or having Haemorrhoids!

Pleased to have added a bit - I thought the gassing claim & award  would have likely been of most interest to his story.

1 hour ago, Gardenerbill said:

I was not aware of him being gassed or having Haemorrhoids! I don't think I need to change to the text in the display, not sure he would have been pleased to be remembered for a rather unfortunate medical condition.  

As a civvy he would likely be mortified :( - as a soldier he would probably be very amused we are thinking about his anatomy, especially that part, 100+ years on :D

M

Edited by Matlock1418