Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I really thought I could read service records, but...

I really thought I could read service records, but this one has me beat.

Can anyone tell me what warship or auxiliary this pensioner was drafted into on 1 October 1918?

And can you tell me what non-substantive rating is meant by 3B's ?

I dread to think.

Or am I just aging too rapidly ...

:cheers:

William

Untitled.jpg

All I can read is Vivid II, then Defiance, then ??? then Vivid I

Means nothing to me, don't suppose this helps...

I got those, too, but the ??? is the $64 dollar question :lol::lol::lol:

I'll have a punt at Stratherbrie

Steve

STRATHEBRIE, hired trawler. Built 1914, 210grt, Aberdeen-reg A.59. Armament: 1-6pdr. In service 6.15-1919 as boom defence vessel.

Source: British Naval Warships 1914 -1919 by Dittmar & Colledge

And can you tell me what non-substantive rating is meant by 3B's ?

3B = 3 GCB's (Good Conduct badges).  Awarded after 3,8 & 13 yrs of  unblemished(excellent conduct) service.

CPO Venning was a ST (Seaman Torpedoman).

Edited by RNCVR

Thank you both! I am very grateful indeed!

He joined in 1889, but had a couple of "Goods," so no long runner.

Forum power!

William

An RN ratings conduct was important as he was paid a daily per diem rate for each of his GCB's & had to be maintained at Exy(Exemplary), or VG (Very Good) during his career with absolutely no offences.  If he was Deprived of a GCB he lost his daily pay for that badge until it was Restored, usually 6 months later.

In addition to being a Boom Defence Vessel Stratherbrie was also a Base Ship

Steve

From - "Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy"(Warlow):  Sierra Leone Aux Patrol Depot/Base Ship.  Commissioned - 1 Apl 1917, Paid off at Gibraltar Dec 1918.

Still borne in Navy List Mar & Dec 1919.

Posted (edited)

Thank you. Most interesting. He served from 1889 until 1919

Edited by Archer

11 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

From - "Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy"(Warlow):  Sierra Leone Aux Patrol Depot/Base Ship.  Commissioned - 1 Apl 1917, Paid off at Gibraltar Dec 1918.

Warlow lists this boat as STRATHERBRIE.  Correct name appears to be STRATHEBRIE (Pink List et al).

The deck logs of HMS BRITANNIA and of HMS AFRICA for 29 September 1918 record STRATHEBRIE as present at Sierra Leone on that date- https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-01-HMS_Britannia.htm   and   https://naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-01-HMS_Africa.htm   Se also HMS BACCHANTE on 28 and 29 October 1918   -   https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-05-HMS_Bacchante.htm

He was drafted into the ship in October 1918, and taken onto the books of HMS Vivid in October 1919, quite a trying experience for an aging pensioner.

Thanks to all for your very helpful replies!

12 minutes ago, Archer said:

He was drafted into the ship in October 1918

He was placed 'on the books' of HMS STRATHEBRIE (the Sierra Leone Base) from 1 October 1918 but that is not necessarily the date on which he physically joined. Naval records are usually unclear on this. 1 October 1918 may have been the date on which he commenced passage (in an unnamed ship) from UK to Sierra Leone and when DEFIANCE transferred him from her books.

Similarly in late 1919, it is unclear how he and when he returned to UK. He may have con home in STRATHEBRIE or he may have taken passage in a warship or troop ship. At some point in that passage home he was place on VIVID's books but he may have arrived in UK well after 11 October 1919.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

He was drafted into the ship in October 1918, and taken onto the books of HMS Vivid in October 1919, quite a trying experience for an aging pensioner.

Thanks to all for your very helpful replies!

When was he born?  Ratings could be called up to age 50, however many older ratings were employed ashore in order to release younger ratings to sea service.

15 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

When was he born? 

6 December 1873.

Pensioners will not incur any fresh liability by enrolling in Class A. of the Reserve. As Pensioners they are already liable to be called upon by the Admiralty to serve in the Fleet in an emergency.

Class A.- Life Pensioners receive a Reserve Pension of 5d. a day at 50 years of age in addition to their life Pension.

Edited by horatio2

Posted (edited)

He joined as a Boy 2nd Class on 19 February 1889, making himself one year younger in the process - to be 15 years old. He was actually born on 16 December 1872, and was 16 when he signed up.

Edited by Archer