Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

transfer to raf from rfc

jamie 1978

On 31/3/18 both the RFC and RNAS ceased to exist and their personnel were administratively transferred to the RAF although, some opted not to make the transfer, I doubt a POW could submit his wishes to the Air Ministry!

What does his service record say?

On 31/3/18 both the RFC and RNAS ceased to exist and their personnel were administratively transferred to the RAF although, some opted not to make the transfer, I doubt a POW could submit his wishes to the Air Ministry!

What does his service record say?

His service record doesn't exist, I only have his transfer to the RFc in 1916 and details of his capture.

jamie

His service record doesn't exist, I only have his transfer to the RFc in 1916 and details of his capture.

jamie

What is his RFC number?

What happened to them? Phil B

I haven’t seen any cases myself, but I understand they were absorbed by the upheaval following the Spring Offensive (army) or back into the navy. Some people left the RFC before the formation of the RAF - see William Spencer’s guide to the records.

jamie

As far as I know, the main reason for a WWI RAF service record to be missing is if the man was still serving beyond the release date for the records. Have you checked the muster list to see if was recorded as a member of the RAF?

As far as I know, the main reason for a WWI RAF service record to be missing is if the man was still serving beyond the release date for the records. Have you checked the muster list to see if was recorded as a member of the RAF?

As I live in N Ireland I have had to pay (and put my trust in a researcher). He found in Air 79 the copy of my Granddads transfer to the RFC which includes details of his service number, trade and original unit. Although the rear doesn't have any medal details) I have the details of his capture and locations in Germany ( from the Red Cross). Also his return to the UK from a casualty card. Along with a picture from Flugsport magazine. He is mentioned in 'Raf Communiques' and 'The Sky Their Battlefield' and served on 20 Sqn. What I dont have is details prior to August 1916 or any details of any Squadron Movements from Aug 1916 to May 1917.

I dont think the Raf muster roll was searched, if anyone is visiting the archives I would be willing to pay them for their time to check the muster roll.

jamie

It sounds like you got quite comprehensive details as it is an RAF document and these service records usually give only minimal information for pre 1st April 1918 RFC service and even less for army service. The information for prior to August 1916 and also his RFC service was in his army records of service and that’s a trawl through WO 363 and WO 364, with the usual odds of success! Have you looked for his MIC for his original unit?

If you have a battalion number for his army unit, find their movements on the ‘Long Long Trail.’ Wg Cdr CG Jefford ‘RAF Squadrons:’ In August 1916 20 Sqn equipped with FE2D and then the RE7, and they were at Clairmarais, 19/1/17 to Boisdinghem and 15/4/17 to Ste-Marie-Capel.