Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC - Leave Abbreviation & SWB Qualification

SteveF

My grandfather's RAMC pay book has two entries for "Leave & RA" for 9 to 16 August 1918 (8 days) and 19 to 28 December 1918 (10 days). What was RA? He served from 6 November 1916 to 22 February 1919, but the pay book only covers the period from 29 July 1918.

He also earned a Silver War Badge, which was awarded for "Sickness". Which forms of sickness would qualify for the SWB? Would gassing (I heard that he was gassed at some time and that this led to persistent illness after the war, possibly resulting in or contributing to his early death, although his death certificate gave TB as cause of death) fall in the category of sickness or wounding? He did not earn a wound stripe, but was awarded two blue chevrons for overseas sservice.

22 hours ago, SteveF said:

He also earned a Silver War Badge, which was awarded for "Sickness". Which forms of sickness would qualify for the SWB?

Sickness = Any form of sickness or ill-health [probably including accidental injuries not categorised as Wounds], war attributed or otherwise, which meant a man was considered no longer fit for military service, typically under King's Regulations Para 392 xvi

Gassing would be classed as a Wound.

If he did not get a wound stripe it means he was not mentioned on a published Casualty List as having been wounded.

Two blue O/S chevrons  >/= 1 year and 1 day overseas [but </= 2 years O/S] starting after 1914

If you are prepared to share his name it may be to your advantage.

M

Edited by Matlock1418

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Sickness = Any form of sickness or ill-health [probably including accidental injuries not categorised as Wounds], war attributed or otherwise, which meant a man was considered no longer fit for military service, typically under King's Regulations Para 392 xvi

Gassing would be classed as a Wound.

If he did not get a wound stripe it means he was not mentioned on a published Casualty List as having been wounded.

Two blue O/S chevrons  >/= 1 year and 1 day overseas [but </= 2 years O/S] starting after 1914

If you are prepared to share his name it may be to your advantage.

M

His name? Perfectly happy to share it, but it slightly complicated.

He was Private Albert James Farmer, RAMC # 96624

However, most of his documetation (medal card, medal roll, SWB roll, discharge certificate) name him Alfred James Farmer - sadly he was illiterate and probably wouldn't have noticed. His pay book just has A J Farmer and he signed with an X. The only document I have with his correct name is his pension record card.

28 minutes ago, SteveF said:

Private Albert James Farmer, RAMC # 96624

28 minutes ago, SteveF said:

The only document I have with his correct name is his pension record card.

That's fine by me = a main one of my fields of interest!

Discharged: 28-2-19, Address: 8 Chester Road, Seven Kings, Ilford, Essex

5/6 pw for 58 weeks [the 20% degree of disability rate for a pension Class V soldier / Private under the 1918 Royal Warrant].

M

Edited by Matlock1418

18 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

That's fine by me = a main one of my fields of interest!

Discharged: 28-2-19, Address: 8 Chester Road, Seven Kings, Ilford, Essex

5/6 pw for 58 weeks [the 20% degree of disability rate for a pension Class V soldier / Private under the 1918 Royal Warrant].

M

That's very interesting. So he was considered 20% disabled by something that happened during the war, but not a physical injury or gassing, which would have earned a wound stripe?

Unfortunately I have almost no knowledge of him as he died of Tuberculosis at 40 in 1930 when my father was about 7 years old so he had little memory of him apart from the fact that he was always sickly. My mother (the two families lived in the same road and she was very friendly with my father's sister) claimed that he was gassed and suffered ill health because of that, but she was only 4 when he died so I take that claim with a large pinch of salt. Could it have been due to the after effects of one of the infectious diseases endemic among the men?

25 minutes ago, SteveF said:

That's very interesting. So he was considered 20% disabled by something that happened during the war, but not a physical injury or gassing, which would have earned a wound stripe?

Unfortunately I have almost no knowledge of him as he died of Tuberculosis at 40 in 1930 when my father was about 7 years old so he had little memory of him apart from the fact that he was always sickly. My mother (the two families lived in the same road and she was very friendly with my father's sister) claimed that he was gassed and suffered ill health because of that, but she was only 4 when he died so I take that claim with a large pinch of salt. Could it have been due to the after effects of one of the infectious diseases endemic among the men?

The award of a temporary pension suggests his sickness was attributed to, or aggravated by, war service = ???

There were many endemic conditions affecting the public and soldiers of which TB [of which there seem to have been variants] was but one which might have qualified

However those men with cases with Pulmonary TB / Phthisis attributed to, or aggravated by, war service on discharge typically were rated considerably higher than 20% and by 1919 typically rated at 100% and paid for much longer - since the nation didn't want TB sufferers having to go out to work and thus spreading the disease more widely.

???

M

Edited by Matlock1418

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

The award of a temporary pension suggests his sickness was attributed to, or aggravated by, war service = ???

There were many endemic conditions affecting the public and soldiers of which TB [of which there seem to have been variants] was but one which might have qualified

However those men with cases with Pulmonary TB / Phthisis attributed to, or aggravated by, war service on discharge typically were rated considerably higher than 20% and by 1919 typically rated at 100% and paid for much longer - since the nation didn't want TB sufferers having to go out to work and thus spreading the disease more widely.

???

M

I don't know if he already had TB upon discharge in 1919, but his discharge certificate said that he was "no longer fit for war service Para 392 (xvi) King's Regulations" and his SWB roll record said cause of discharge "sickness". He married in 1920, had three children (in 1921, 23 and 24) and died in 1930.

I'm pleased to have inherited his original paybook and discharge certificate and his medals, but unfortunately his SWB is lost, although I have one photo of him wearing it (probably at his wedding). There are just three photos of him in his RAMC uniform.

I really appreciate your interest and help.

Steve