Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo location determination help — possibly Vals-les-Bains?

George5

This may be a long shot but I was looking for someone familiar with Vals-les-Bains who could possibly identify this photo as being taken at that location. The only confirmed information I have as to location of the photo was “somewhere in France.” The resolution isn’t great and 100+ years have passed but the rocks in the river bed, retaining wall, concrete railing, and bridge seem to me to be consistent with other photos I’ve seen of Vals-les-Bains. The three US soldiers are from the US Army 312th infantry, headquarters Company, 78th Division and records indicate that they were DS to Val-les-Bains on 14 February 1918. My grandfather is the middle soldier which is why I’m interested in attempting to confirm the location.

Thanks.

photos_email 5_George.jpeg

10 hours ago, George5 said:

… records indicate that they were DS to Val-les-Bains on 14 February 1918. 

Typo! The correct date was 14 Feb 1919.

• Admin
7 hours ago, George5 said:

Typo! The correct date was 14 Feb 1919.

From a quick google search  using the words 'Vals-les-Bains'. I can give you this modern view, it looks to be the same location?

Screenshot courtesy of Tripadvisor.

image.png

Thanks. That was my thinking too. I even counted the 14 spaces within each railing section above the retaining walls and they match up. But then I started second guessing myself thinking that could just be the typical standard construction of the time. It does seem like a good match though and I haven’t found anything close to it in tracing their prior movements in St Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne.

I stumbled over an eBay stash of vintage Vals-les-Bains postcards last night and I think I have confirmation now. The water level is higher in my original photograph but this looks like the spot. It’s a good thing these guys picked a touristy location for their photograph otherwise I may not have ever found it.

IMG_2352.jpeg