Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dissecting the Legend - Interview with author James Hurst

Fedelmar

Interview with James Hurst regarding his research on the Gallipoli landing

https://radioadelaide.org.au/2021/05/17/sharon-cleary-james-hurst-dissecting-a-legend/

Thanks for posting that link Sandra. I wasn't aware of his book and I found his interview interesting. He certainly has no problems retaining a lot of information.

I did wonder at the statement that the book had the 'makings of a minor classic'. That sort of reads like a back handed compliment.

Scott

Thanks Scott ...
I was at one of James' book launches in WA for this particular book and some of the information he shared with those present was interesting.  He has an amazing memory and retains enormous amounts of information as you say.

I don't have this book yet (shame on me) but do have Game to the Last which James kindly signed for me when we caught up with each other last time he was in WA.

image.jpeg.3fe2bcf429b5b4e324ed2ff884c22c37.jpeg

Hope he does well with the book. I may chase up a copy as I'm interested in seeing how he it put it all together in text.

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

On 05/05/2024 at 21:38, Waddell said:

I did wonder at the statement that the book had the 'makings of a minor classic'. That sort of reads like a back handed compliment.

I've just finished listening to the interview and I am full of admiration for the man.  I also think it is high praise from Bill Gammage.  James explains his modus operandi in full and I can see the logic.  In essence, he takes the Official History as authoritative but recognises that Bean did painstaking research but had a deadline to meet and other volumes to organise.  Then he concentrates on 1,000 men in one battalion (11th) and researches in detail their stories, anecdotes, memories and family stories.  Some will be unreliable, some exaggerated, some will contradict the official version and many of them just didn't know the name of the feature or the right time, in the heat of the moment.

After over 20 years of research and a well-deserved PhD, his encyclopaedic memory (well demonstrated during the interview), let him correlate and cross-reference sets of memories and start to work out a narrative.  He gives the example where a soldier wrote a story, changing the names perhaps to shield families from what their sons had been through.  An anecdote of defending against counter-attacks with a Peachy Brown by his side then yielded the soldier P.G. Green and a meeting with a relative who described him as a crack shot.

James' explanation of the origin of the story of the supposedly misplaced landing spot is most interesting.  I can still recall the vehemence in Loutit's voice as he told me that when he saw were they were meant to land they would all have been killed.  Right or wrong, it was unwavering belief in his eyes.

Sharon Cleary, the interviewer, is also praiseworthy.  Passionate about Gallipoli and well informed, towards the end it sounded more like 2 colleagues having a professional discussion!

Thanks for posting this Sandra.  I will keep an eye out for the book.

Cheers, Bill

22 hours ago, Waddell said:

Hope he does well with the book. I may chase up a copy as I'm interested in seeing how he it put it all together in text.

Scott

It's on Ebay

Though I might add this here as it was located after James wrote his book.

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog/volunteers-find-new-document