Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial German Porkpie -Help ID

Romagne1918

Can anyone give me some info on this (prewar, I think) Imperial German porkpie cap? What are the stamps? Thanks!

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0434.JPG

It is a Saxon cap after 1897. The small stamp denotes the issuing supply depot (Bekleidungsamt), the larger one the unit.

GreyC

1 minute ago, GreyC said:

It is a Saxon cap after 1897. The small stamp denotes the issuing supply depot (Bekleidungsamt), the larger one the unit.

GreyC

Thanks. Any idea what the unit is?

16 minutes ago, Romagne1918 said:

Thanks. Any idea what the unit is?

Kaiser Alexander Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr 1.

Cheers,

GT  

But now with the help of the Prussian I can tell you that the Saxon cockade was put on later instead of the Prussian one and does not belong to it originally. The Bekleidungsamt is that of the Garde.

It is a Prussian cap from Kaiser Alexander Garde Grenadier Regiment 1, so it needs a Prussian cockade below the national cockade.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

1 hour ago, GreyC said:

But now with the help of the Prussian I can tell you that the Saxon cockade was put on later instead of the Prussian one and does not belong to it originally. The Bekleidungsamt is that of the Garde.

It is a Prussian cap from Kaiser Alexander Garde Grenadier Regiment 1, so it needs a Prussian cockade below the national cockade.

GreyC

Thank you very much. Looks authentic to me. What do you think?

I am not knowledgeable enough to say so, all I know ist that the cockade was altered, for whatever reason and probably way later.

GreyC

Its authentic but has lost Prussian cockade and Saxon one added for some reason. Nice pre war item and probably worn by recruits in training before being issued field grey version.

Nice.