Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Ypres

Frank_East

Cannot let 22nd April pass without recording the use of gas on this date in 1915 by the Germans in the north east sector of the Salient.

Contrary to Article 23 of the 1907 Hague Convention which Germany had signed it brought about a new diminsion to 20th Century warfare.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading Franks post about the gas attack in April 1915,I have a letter which was published in my local newspaper.It was written to my Great Grand parents from their youngest son,it gives some first hand experiance of the aftermath of the attack on that date.

Bill Tomlinson

I too would be interested in seeing the contents of the letter.

With regards to Frank's initial post, contrary to popular opinion, Germany did not contravene the Hague Conventions. The 1907 Convention brought little further movement from the 1899 Convention, when the subject of gas was discussed. All signatories to declaration (1V 2) of the 1899 Convention, agreed to "abstain from the of projectiles the sole object of which is the diffusion of asphyxiating and deliterious gases." Germany of course launched the first attack from cylinders. It can be argued of course, that Germany, whilst acting within the strict interpretations of the the Hague Conventions, did breach the spirit of them. However when they were formulated , non of the nations had any real conception of this type of warfare. I appreciate this may sound a bit pedantic, but it an important point, particulary when you consider how quickly the Allies abandoned their principles in this respect.

Terry Reeves

Unable to scan copy in, so I have typed in the body of the letter below:-

Private Leonard Tomlinson of the 1st York and Lancaster Reg who's mother lives at 57 Spital Hill in Retford writing to a Retford lady, comma thanks her and the Retford women's war fund for the most useful parcel they sent him. He says:-

"It seems nice to feel clean under the circumstances we are in, I am never happier than when giving the Allemands a good doing. They deserve all they get and they will get more if we get the chance. The weather is lovely just the sort of weather to be coming back to dear old England and the people at home, but I am content to spend my summer holiday with the Germans and their horrid gas. They seem to be getting more now than they ever bargained for. If it had not been for the gas we should have been a lot further advanced. It is the most awful stuff for it does not give us a fighting chance. We are well prepared for them now. We always make up for lost time whenever we get the chance. When we get to close quarters with the enemy we don't have to study anyone. We get young and old we don't bother about sorting them and we see that they all go the same way home. They are very poor fighters when Tommy gets near to them, for they soon go on their knees and beg for mercy. They get it - I don't think. We give them the same as they gave my comrades. The place I am in at present is where the poor Canadians were gased. It was the worst site I ever saw in my life the night we came to Ypres. I dare not mention it now, but if I am spared and get back to England I will tell you a little of my experiences at the front. I am writing you this letter in my little dug out in the clay, and the noted German Jack Johnson's and shrapnel are fairly screaming through the air. I am quite used to them for I seem to take little notice of them. If one should hit a man there would any be his buttons left to tell the tale. Yesterday the Germans were shelling our trenches, and one of my mates was on look out duty. One of the German 40 pounders as we call them, hit the parapet close to where he was standing and completely buried him. We got to work and got him out of his trouble, not much hurt but badly shaken. They have sent him down to the base hospital for a rest while his nerves recover. If a shell drops 200 yds away we can feel the ground shake I hope that this war will soon be over so that I can get back to that dear little country place Retford".

Sorry I was unable to scan in the original, but this text gives you an idea of what was happening to Leonard.

Bill

Thanks, Bill - wish I'd been a fly on the wall when he told the whole story of the night of the gas attack. Did Leonard survive the war?

Marina

• 2 weeks later...

Marina

sorry about the the delay in reply,unfortunately Leonard was killed in Oct 1915 and lies buried at Potjize.