Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

English Staff Officers on ANZAC - August Offensive

smclaren

Hi Guys

I'm transcribing the dairies of Lt J.D. McComish (NZEF - 12/2410) who was my Grandfather's OC when they landed on Gallipoli on the 8th of August 1915 with the NZEF's 5th Reinforcements.

McComish mentions several officers when they get up to No3 Outpost (which was the NZEF Divisional HQ) as they worked their way up to Chunk Bair to get into the fight ! 

It appears many of these officers were English attached to the ANZAC Staff ... as they don't appear on the NZ Databases. I'm thinking that because there were English Battalions involved on Chunuk Bair, English Staff were needed ?

Anyway .. I'm trying to find details of these officers mentioned. Is there a database for English troops that I should be using ?

Some of the names that I am researching are:

- Major Purcivill (possible misspelling)
- Captain Lord Charles Cavendish-Bentinck
- Major Fletcher

- Lt Mackay

- Col Pridham

- Captain or Col McNeil

Any assistance greatly appreciated. I'll post the transcription when finished as it contains some good action from up on the great mountain !!! 

Steve

Steve,

I can possibly help with a few names.

Temp/Lt-Col Geoffrey Robert Pridham Royal Engineers (OC Divisional Engineers)

Captain McNeil A G Royal Engineers possibly Captain (served as 2 i/c with the 1st Field Coy NZE)

Captain Lord Charles Cavendish Bentinick A/AAQMG 9th Lancers

Lt-Col  A G  Perceval AAQMG 29th Division

Nothing on the others sorry. May be too late for my NZEF lists.

Rockturner

I agree with Rockturner that Perceval of the 29th Division is the most likely candidate for “Major Purcivill (possible misspelling)”

however, to clarify he was

Lt-Col Claude John Perceval, GSO1 of 29th Div. 9th/11th (?) June till 13th/16th (?) August 1915 when he became the Brigadier General commanding 86th Brigade

my Grandfather's OC when they landed on Gallipoli on the 8th of August 1915 with the NZEF's 5th Reinforcements.

McComish mentions several officers when they get up to No3 Outpost (which was the NZEF Divisional HQ) as they worked their way up to Chunk Bair to get into the fight ! 

It appears many of these officers were English attached to the ANZAC Staff ... as they don't appear on the NZ Databases. I'm thinking that because there were English Battalions involved on Chunuk Bair, English Staff were needed ?”

The 29th Division were at Helles and took part in diversionary attacks there while the push up Chunuk Bair was taking place, so without further information and context it's difficult to confirm that he was at No.3 Outpost at this time.

29th Div. began to land at Suvla shortly after this; first elements arriving on the night of 17th August

Edited by michaeldr

Cheers Rockturner & Michael.

That's very much appreciated ... it really helps push my Grandfathers Gallipoli story along.

Hope I can quiz you Lads some more if I trip over more names ?

Cheers

Steve

Mate,

No expert here, but officers of this type, arrived before the troops, to liason with the troops there, so they can arrange to fill in where they are going

They can be temp attach to do this, so the swap over go's with out hitches 

With British units in the follow up to the NZ Bde on Chanak Bair, the British Bn's/Bdes behind them, have you checked there records to see how they deployed and any officer names?

Having been involved in these types of arrangements over my career, its not always a good time, as things can and do go wrong, so many problems with the movement of large bodies of troops over strange ground and stranger units. Add in the mix a strong enemy force pushing you, makes for problems.

Any wonder the British units fell apart after the kiwi's lost the hill, when pushed by the Turks.