Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify WW1 US Bayonet - Help Please

mjmuk

Hi all,

Newbie here,

I would like to further identify this USA WW1 Bayonet. From initial research, I have already discovered that it is a Remington Arms Co. 1917 bayonet with the 'Ordnance Dept. Branch Insignia (shell and flame)' on one side of the blade.

However, there is another mark on the blade which I do not seem to be able to identify in the sources I have found online. I have attached a number of images to ask for this forum's help.

Looking forward to receiving any info at all and many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Mike (mjmuk)

WW1_US_Bayonet-1.jpg

WW1_US_Bayonet-2.jpg

WW1_US_Bayonet-3.jpg

WW1_US_Bayonet-4.jpg

WW1_US_Bayonet-5.jpg

WW1_US_Bayonet-6.jpg

Mike,

I think your post would gain a better response if posted in the arms and other weapons section. Hopefully the mods will move it if they think fit. 
From a completely amateur point of view it looks a decent item.

Simon

2 hours ago, mjmuk said:

...However, there is another mark on the blade which I do not seem to be able to identify in the sources I have found online. I have attached a number of images to ask for this forum's help...

WW1_US_Bayonet-5.jpg

Do you mean the Eagles Head over the number 27 stamp? It's the Inspection Mark - basically Inspector No.27 proclaimed the bayonet good to go at the end of production. If it had later proved faulty for some reason later this would enable the fault to be traced back:

Mods,

Could you move this thread to “Arms and other weapons “, where it belongs.

Regards,

JMB

As suggested above

It is as you have correctly identified, however it is in a WW2 type format UK “home guard” frog Pattern 1939 (not in the greatest condition). Remington is the most commonly encountered maker 

condition overall of the bayonet is good but not that great for a HG- the UK was sent several hundred thousand M1917 rifle and bayonet by the US straight from long term storage after refurb. So most of the UK examples are in excellent-mint conditon, more so than many other bayonets as they weren’t used heavily and never saw any real war.  

there is threads to search if you look up Home Guard bayonets P1913 and M1917 

only slightly interesting thing is that someone didn’t file off the original US bayonet hanger. Normally in my observation these were cut and removed when they entered HG service. But that in itself it not completely unusual, have seen it before but just not that commonly 

the scabbard was originally Green from US service, a lot were died brown and black using boot polish or leather dye during HG use so this is also correct. 

different HG units when issued the M1917 in quantity came up their own unique ways of “adopting” the M1917 for service so variations exist. 

kind regards

g

Edited by navydoc16