Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Samuel Brooks 5515 Coldstream Guards

KBrooks

Hi, I am trying to research Samuel but am not having much luck. All ai can find on Ancestry are his three medal cards (I have his medals from eBay) 8 believe he is a relative but to confirm have been looking for attestation etc - I see another soldier with the number 5517 was a POW in 1914 so am guessing they may have been together but who knows?

Can anyone with much more expertise than I can hope to have offer any pointers or info which may help me please? If it helps I think he probably came from Derbyshire.

IMG_3750.jpeg

#5515 Samuel Brooks served with the 3rd Battalion, Coldstream Guards. He was born in Coldridge, Devon. (images courtesy of Find My Past)

Brooks_Samuel_military history.jpg

Brooks_Samuel_active service.jpg

Edited by Allan1892

From the British Army, Coldstream Guards 1800-1981, Enlistment Register - Nominal Roll - 5367 To 10686 (courtesy of Find My Past)

Brooks_Samuel_attestation register entry.jpg

The 1921 Census confirms that Samuel with his wife Lucy and children Doris and Samuel were living in Poltimore, Devon.

47 minutes ago, KBrooks said:

If it helps I think he probably came from Derbyshire.

I have read through his record and there is no mention of Derbyshire.

FindMyPast have indexed him as born Coldridge, Devon c1881, but the B.103 has him aged 18 years and 8 months when he enlisted in April 1904, (don't subscribe so can't see the actual document).

At the time of his enlistment next of kin was given as parents James and Lucy, along with older brother Henry and younger brothers Charles and John. From what @Allan1892 has posted nothing as yet to suggest he spent time in the reserve prior to the Great War after returning to the UK in early 1911.

So a strong candidate on the 1911 Census of England & Wales must be the 25 year old unmarried Samuel Brooks, a "Soldier", born Coldridge, Devon, who was recorded in the household of his parents at Huxham, Exeter. They were a James, (aged 52, Waggoner on Farm, born Eggsford, Devon) and "Louisa", (aged 55, born Brushford, Devon). The couple state they have been married 28 years and the union has produced 8 children, of which 7 were then still alive.

James and Louisa were recorded living at Sandford, Devon on the 1901 Census of England & Wales with six of their children, including a Henry, (16), "Charley", (10) and a John, (8), but Samuel was not amongst them.

Cheers,
Peter

1 hour ago, PRC said:

FindMyPast have indexed him as born Coldridge, Devon c1881, but the B.103 has him aged 18 years and 8 months when he enlisted in April 1904, (don't subscribe so can't see the actual document).

He was baptised on the 5th September 1886 (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Brooks_Samuel_baptism.jpg

1 hour ago, Allan1892 said:

The 1921 Census confirms that Samuel with his wife Lucy and children Doris and Samuel were living in Poltimore, Devon.

I have read through his record and there is no mention of Derbyshire.

Allan1892 so many thanks for this information I can’t understand why I even bother with Ancestry none of this info is there - unfortunately for me he isn’t my relative and the Derbyshire connection of where the medals were originally acquired and located for sale is just a coincidence. all the same it’s fascinating and I think I will see what else I can find out about him with the info you supplied as an excellent foundation to build on.

Thanks again it’s really appreciated!

Keith

1 hour ago, PRC said:

At the time of his enlistment next of kin was given as parents James and Lucy, along with older brother Henry and younger brothers Charles and John. From what @Allan1892 has posted nothing as yet to suggest he spent time in the reserve prior to the Great War after returning to the UK in early 1911.

So a strong candidate on the 1911 Census of England & Wales must be the 25 year old unmarried Samuel Brooks, a "Soldier", born Coldridge, Devon, who was recorded in the household of his parents at Huxham, Exeter. They were a James, (aged 52, Waggoner on Farm, born Eggsford, Devon) and "Louisa", (aged 55, born Brushford, Devon). The couple state they have been married 28 years and the union has produced 8 children, of which 7 were then still alive.

James and Louisa were recorded living at Sandford, Devon on the 1901 Census of England & Wales with six of their children, including a Henry, (16), "Charley", (10) and a John, (8), but Samuel was not amongst them.

Cheers,
Peter

Thanks Peter, hopefully I may be a le to find someone from his family line and get the medals back to them,

regards

Keith

2 hours ago, KBrooks said:

I think he probably came from Derbyshire.

This could be the Derbyshire Samuel Brooks that you are interested in. (image courtesy of Find My Past)

Brooks_Samuel_derbyshire.jpg

The Derbyshire Samuel brooks enlisted into the Sherwood Foresters on the 31st October 1914. Entered a Theatre of War 2B (Gallipoli and Aegean Islands) on the 18th September 1915. Awarded the 1914/15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Image of his attestation courtesy of Find My Past.

Brooks_Samuel_the derbyshire one.jpg

5 hours ago, Allan1892 said:

Awarded the 1914/15 Star

Interestingly, the photo in the original post shows a 1914 Star to which the "Derbyshire Samuel Brooks" in the previous post would not have been entitled so maybe there is a third Samuel somewhere.

Thanks Allan1892 and Don Regiano - I will check but I have some research on the Derbyshire Samuel who is a relative of mine and this is his attestation, you are right he was entitled to the star which was issued to the Devon Samuel of the Coldstream Guards - most of my relatives were Sherwood Foresters, MGC and Royal Engineers so I was initially surprised at the connection to the Guards but as I say with their location being Derbyshire it was too much of a risk to let them slip by just incase. There could be a third or more unfortunately as there are a lot of Samuel Brooks from that timeframe……..I’ve been researching my family tree for thirty five years and I haven’t found them all yet!