Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fred Culling 1657 Service Volunteers?

PaulC78

Hi folks, can anyone tell me which unit this man served with? All I have is a single pension card:

CullingFred(1657).jpg.b4393162822d43e897d3b666b759e939.jpg

The only thing I can add is that he died May 1918, age 30, and is buried at Preston (New Hall Lane) Cemetery. The grave is marked with a CWGC headstone for his younger brother, Pte Edward Culling 23935 Loyal North Lancs:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/373385/edward-culling/

General Service Volunteers, 12th Battalion?

Could be Special Service Volunteers?

Several family trees on Ancestry had a date of death of April 26th 1918.

However, each referenced the Death Index only:

image.png.15430fb22fa3f1f080e957800769aac8.png

• Admin
7 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

Hi folks, can anyone tell me which unit this man served with? All I have is a single pension card:

Attached are the Battalion orders for the 12th Battalion Volunteers published in the Lancashire Daily Post 12th May 1917 in Preston presumably the Volunteer Training Corps  but I don't know.  A small piece of the jigsaw or a rabbit hole.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 08.42.35.png

Image from BNA at FMP

I can only find his interment in the newspapers no obituary for either him or his brother.  The doings of the Preston Tribunal who frequently directed men to the 'Volunteers' are well reported but his name doesn't come up on a search.

5 hours ago, kenf48 said:

Attached are the Battalion orders for the 12th Battalion Volunteers published in the Lancashire Daily Post 12th May 1917 in Preston presumably the Volunteer Training Corps  but I don't know.  

Yes that is the Volunteer Training Corps. The 12th Battalion later became 1st Vol Bn The Loyal north Lancashire Regiment but Piper was still adjutant.  This is their entry from the 1919 Volunteer List

LancVol.png.e3d0b313bd6a2cc04973e19e25fbec1a.png

Thanks all, that's a big help. These volunteer groups are a bit of a mystery to me!

• Admin
2 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

Thanks all, that's a big help. These volunteer groups are a bit of a mystery to me!

You’re not alone

:w00t: