Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Warner - RFA/RHA

Jill Vincent

Hi , I need help my Grandad William Warner from Walsall Staffordshire was wounded in a battle , (we think Ypres) can not seem to find his regent or any record of hospital of medals. Any pointers would be good, so fat I have looked through National Archives .thanks in advance 

Jill,

Welcome to GWF.  We would love to help you.

= Why do you think RHA?

But I think we could all probably do with a bit more information on William WARNER if you can possibly supply it - These may help if you have them and are willing to share:

• Date of birth
  • Place of birth [Walsall? More detailed??]
  • Forenames - any others?  Any familiar diminutive(s) used?
  • Names of parents
  • Name of wife
  • Names of child(ren) - if born whilst he was serving his military details might be shown on their Birth Certificate
  • Nature/type of wounding - any disability?
  • Address(es) before and after the service [Walsall? More detailed??] - Absent Voters Lists from 1918 and 1919 might assist with his military details
  • Occupation before and after service
  • Date of death
  • Place of death [Walsall? More detailed??]

In hope and wishing you well with your research

M

Edited by Matlock1418

Thank you for offer of help Matlock, 

Here is what we know..

William Warner. aka (Bill) b 03.01.1887

Alfred Street Handsworth  Warwickshire .

parents were John Warner (handsworth West Bromwich) and Ellen Martin Ewen (from Wells on sea) married  01.05.1876,Handsworth church

Married Clarissa Blewitt 1912

Reginald Warner born 1912. Daisy 1915. William John 1918, plus 6 others.

He was injured in WW1 , shrapnel injured his leg as he was trying to stop the horses he was looking after, he then went to hospital and then returned back to his young family and wife at Daisy farm Guility Greaves Walsall Staffordshire.

he then moved on to  Tixall ( lord Lichfields farms) where he farmed for a couple of years then Knighton (nr Gnosall) where he farmed for two years then moved to Toronto Canada where he died in 1969. 

If you have anymore advice please pass it on as we have been searching for 5 years at least! Thanks in advance Jill

Oh forgot ot say William Warner was either in the RHA or RFA. thanks Jill

41 minutes ago, Jill Vincent said:

Here is what we know..

William Warner. aka (Bill) b 03.01.1887

Alfred Street Handsworth  Warwickshire .

parents were John Warner (handsworth West Bromwich) and Ellen Martin Ewen (from Wells on sea) married  01.05.1876,Handsworth church

Married Clarissa Blewitt 1912

Reginald Warner born 1912. Daisy 1915. William John 1918, plus 6 others.

He was injured in WW1 , shrapnel injured his leg as he was trying to stop the horses he was looking after, he then went to hospital and then returned back to his young family and wife at Daisy farm Guility Greaves Walsall Staffordshire.

he then moved on to  Tixall ( lord Lichfields farms) where he farmed for a couple of years then Knighton (nr Gnosall) where he farmed for two years then moved to Toronto Canada where he died in 1969. 

If you have anymore advice please pass it on as we have been searching for 5 years at least! Thanks in advance Jill

Oh forgot ot say William Warner was either in the RHA or RFA

Thanks for all those place names - unfortunately none showed up WW up as claiming for a disability pension [I looked at WFA/Fold3 records].

Published Casualty Lists might offer something [NoK's town usually printed alongside an entry] - Possibly in The Times or more local papers [I haven't access] ??

My next thought would be for you to look at Absent Voters Lists for 1918 and 1919 since if he was still serving and minded to get on the Electoral Roll - I have no idea if extant [and I haven't access to these either]. ??

Just an enquiry - How do you know RHA or RFA?

Wishing you good luck.

M

• RussT changed the title to William Warner - RFA/RHA

I’d take a look at the birth certificates of the children born ‘15 & ‘18 to see if fathers occupation is listed. That may reveal his regiment.

Simon

Apologies but just for clarity - this is the William Warner, mothers' maiden name Ewin, whose birth was registered with the civil authorities in the West Bromwich District in the January to March quarter, (Q1), of 1887.

On the 1891 Census of England and Wales aged 4, born Handsworth, Staffordshire, living with parents John, (36, Coal Dealer, born Warwick, Warwickshire) and Ellen, (34, born Wells, Norfolk) and five siblings. Family recorded at 55 Middlemore Road, Harborne, Smethwick.

Probably the 14 year old William Warner, a Bedstead Polisher born Handsworth, Staffordshire, who was recorded boarding at Fox Lane, Romsley, Worcestershire, on the 1901 Census of England & Wales.

William is most likely the "22" year old Farm Servant, born Smethwick, who was recorded living in the household of his employer, Richard Fardoe, at County Bridge, Willenhall, Walsall on the 1911 Census of England & Wales

Army records tend to be indexed under place of birth as a key piece of data, so knowing there are two in the mix opens up another search line.

As has already been mentioned, the birth certificates for Daisy and William John will give you fathers' occupation at the time of their birth registrations. Even if it only says "Soldier" at least you will know that he was serving at that point in time. I see Daisy's birth registration was in Q2 1915 in the Stafford District, so if William was serving at that point you will also know he was a volunteer rather than a conscript - that didn't come in until spring 1916. It may also start to narrow down the possibilities from the Medal Index Cards. It will also most likely give you a home address - either because that was where Daisy was born, (the norm for the time) or because of the address of the person registering the birth, (usually mother or father). That in turn will start to provide a focus for search of contemporary local newspapers.

Add in the equivalent data for William John, (Walsall District, Q2 1918) and you will have some likely places where William's next of kin, presumably Clarrisa, might be recorded against. The relevance of that is that from mid-1916 onwards the official casualty lists included the location of the next of kin informed. It's usually only a single word, (i.e "Walsall") but if nothing else might help eliminate some of the possible matches.

The home addresses from Williams' birth certificate, (hopefully!) and the whereabout on the 1921 Census of England & Wales will also potentially narrow down the search for the likely Absent Voter Lists. Unfortuntely with the 1918 one it's a question of how important the vote was to the individual concerned, and by the time the 1919 was being prepared the Armed Forces were being rapidly downsized and so many were no longer "absent".

There is a bit more on how the Absent Voters Lists can help on our parent site here https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

Unfortunately looks like the link to AVL for Staffordshire is broken. Might be worthwhile contacting the County Archive Service. https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/Heritage-and-archives/homepage.aspx

Just to add the General Registrars Office offered a cheap and cheerful £2.50 service for an online copy of the birth certificate. If you register with their website, the easiest way to go is use the search the index option. When you've found the entry you're interested in then select and it will come up as one of the purchasing options. I've not used it but it seems to be very, very quick. Apologies if you're already aware of that. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates

Cheers,
Peter

2 hours ago, Jill Vincent said:

Daisy 1915. William John 1918,

1 hour ago, mancpal said:

I’d take a look at the birth certificates of the children born ‘15 & ‘18 to see if fathers occupation is listed. That may reveal his regiment.

A good spot, which I had missed :doh:, and an excellent idea

easy at GRO Now only £2.50 for a Digital Image copy almost instantly [= probably worth a peek]

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp 

M

Edit:doh: I notice Peter has just mentioned GRO whilst I slowly typed!

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

30 minutes ago, PRC said:

Apologies but just for clarity - this is the William Warner, mothers' maiden name Ewin, whose birth was registered with the civil authorities in the West Bromwich District in the January to March quarter, (Q1), of 1887.

On the 1891 Census of England and Wales aged 4, born Handsworth, Staffordshire, living with parents John, (36, Coal Dealer, born Warwick, Warwickshire) and Ellen, (34, born Wells, Norfolk) and five siblings. Family recorded at 55 Middlemore Road, Harborne, Smethwick.

Probably the 14 year old William Warner, a Bedstead Polisher born Handsworth, Staffordshire, who was recorded boarding at Fox Lane, Romsley, Worcestershire, on the 1901 Census of England & Wales.

William is most likely the "22" year old Farm Servant, born Smethwick, who was recorded living in the household of his employer, Richard Fardoe, at County Bridge, Willenhall, Walsall on the 1911 Census of England & Wales

Army records tend to be indexed under place of birth as a key piece of data, so knowing there are two in the mix opens up another search line.

As has already been mentioned, the birth certificates for Daisy and William John will give you fathers' occupation at the time of their birth registrations. Even if it only says "Soldier" at least you will know that he was serving at that point in time. I see Daisy's birth registration was in Q2 1915 in the Stafford District, so if William was serving at that point you will also know he was a volunteer rather than a conscript - that didn't come in until spring 1916. It may also start to narrow down the possibilities from the Medal Index Cards. It will also most likely give you a home address - either because that was where Daisy was born, (the norm for the time) or because of the address of the person registering the birth, (usually mother or father). That in turn will start to provide a focus for search of contemporary local newspapers.

Add in the equivalent data for William John, (Walsall District, Q2 1918) and you will have some likely places where William's next of kin, presumably Clarrisa, might be recorded against. The relevance of that is that from mid-1916 onwards the official casualty lists included the location of the next of kin informed. It's usually only a single word, (i.e "Walsall") but if nothing else might help eliminate some of the possible matches.

The home addresses from Williams' birth certificate, (hopefully!) and the whereabout on the 1921 Census of England & Wales will also potentially narrow down the search for the likely Absent Voter Lists. Unfortuntely with the 1918 one it's a question of how important the vote was to the individual concerned, and by the time the 1919 was being prepared the Armed Forces were being rapidly downsized and so many were no longer "absent".

There is a bit more on how the Absent Voters Lists can help on our parent site here https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/finding-soldiers-through-the-1918-absent-voters-lists/

Unfortunately looks like the link to AVL for Staffordshire is broken. Might be worthwhile contacting the County Archive Service. https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/Heritage-and-archives/homepage.aspx

Just to add the General Registrars Office offered a cheap and cheerful £2.50 service for an online copy of the birth certificate. If you register with their website, the easiest way to go is use the search the index option. When you've found the entry you're interested in then select and it will come up as one of the purchasing options. I've not used it but it seems to be very, very quick. Apologies if you're already aware of that. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates

Cheers,
Peter

Thank you Peter, lots of very useful info 

31 minutes ago, PRC said:

Cheers,
Peter

Thank you , my mom and her siblings have all passed easy now, they didn’t know if he was in RHA or the RFA, he left the army after he was injured in fact has he never spoke about the war ,  or claimed his bravery medals .

10 minutes ago, Jill Vincent said:

they didn’t know if he was in RHA or the RFA, he left the army after he was injured in fact has he never spoke about the war ,  or claimed his bravery medals .

A couple of small points to consider:

Firstly: there was also the Royal Garrison Artillery but with heavier guns likely fewer horses [but I don't think can be totally ruled out if there is a lack of real knowledge of which part of the Royal Artillery in which he is said to have served]

Secondly: Bravery medals were only issued to the minority of those who served overseas in a theatre of war.  All men who served in a ToW were entitled to War medals and they did not normally need to claim them - they were sent out automatically [though they may not have actually been delivered]

So hard to clarify what has passed via the filters of family history.

Still hoping for the best for you - To me the children's BC and AVL seem your best bets at the moment.

M

There is a William Warner who served with the Staffordshire Yeomanry, overseas service and a SWB

31 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

There is a William Warner who served with the Staffordshire Yeomanry, overseas service and a SWB

I could understand the horsey bit suggesting a possibility but ... OP is pretty sure of Artillery ... Do you have a Regtl No for this Yeomanry man?

I can see 2973 / 300307 amongst disability pension records at WFA/Fold3 but he had a Niam Street, Spoken Hill, Burton on Trent address [not matching what we have been offered by the OP so far]

M

7 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I could understand the horsey bit suggesting a possibility but ... OP is pretty sure of Artillery ... Do you have a Regtl No for this Yeomanry man?

I can see 2973 / 300307 amongst disability pension records at WFA/Fold3 but he had a Niam Street, Spoken Hill, Burton on Trent address [not matching what we have been offered by the OP so far]

M

Aye, that's the same man. Also found on SWB list,  L/33411 William Warner, RFA, discharged 23rd March 1917

2 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Also found on SWB list,  L/33411 William Warner, RFA, discharged 23rd March 1917

33411 RFA now looks a bit promising as he had a disability claim and his widow, Gladys, claimed in 1969 - the reported year of WW's death

Also had a Grant from Military Service (Civil Liabilities) Department - For Pig & Poultry Farming - address Tixall, nr Stafford

Hooray!!! ... Found him it would seem.

[Fold3 had him indexed as Royal Fusiliers and also as Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort''s Own = records now reindexed!!]

But I am currently struggling at the moment to find a MIC on WFA/Fold3 = ??? 

However MIC available via TNA https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5754917, so presumably might also be at Ancestry ??

image.png.9d52aa425f42c40c90257d10494adf3d.png

Image thanks to TNA

M

EditThere is no suggestion on this MIC that his medals were not automatically sent out or not delivered

Edited by Matlock1418
MIC details and then image

Last unit was 5c Reserve Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, but discharged because of sickness. Enlisted 9th July 1915, so after Daisy was born - so that would be a bit of an acid test that the right man has been identified.

Not spotting him so far in the official casualty lists.

Cheers,
Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

12 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

33411 RFA now looks a bit promising as he had a disability claim and his widow, Gladys, claimed in 1969 - the reported year of WW's death

Also had a Grant from Military Service (Civil Liabilities) Department - For Pig & Poultry Farming - address Tixall, nr Stafford

Hooray!!! ... Found him it would seem.

[Fold3 had him indexed as Royal Fusiliers and also as Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort''s Own = records now reindexed!!]

But I am currently struggling at the moment to find a MIC on WFA/Fold3 = ??? 

However MIC available via TNA https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5754917, so presumably might also be at Ancestry ??

M

OMG Matlock, you have found him. Thank you so much, his widow was Clarrisa at birth but went by the name Gladys!

1 minute ago, PRC said:

Last unit was 5c Reserve Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, but discharged because of sickness. Enlisted 9th July 1915, so after Daisy was born - so that would be a bit of an accid test that the right man has been identified.

Not spotting him so far in the official casualty lists.

Cheers,
Peter

Thankyou Peter, I am now looking for birth certificate of Daisy to double check but looks like you fantastic guys have found him. `Thanks a million x Jill

To add some handy pension etc. images for L/33411

WARNERW.33411PIC.png.cfba89a5650dcd26b3a61141ac162fa3.png

I would note we can see from the various Ministry of Pensions case references he moved around - including a  6 [West Midlands] and then an OS [Overseas] claim references

WARNERW.33411MS(CL)1.png.7ff89d8cc0bc9386a98f83321a193eef.png

Maximum grant was £104

This is the other side of the MS(CL) card - handy to have that address [originally only indexed as Stafford]

WARNERW.33411MS(CL)2.png.24897efef8e4d17c18baf59f1b730dca.png

Images thanks to WFA/Fold3 

Images rather clipped by Fold3 [not by me!!!]

So glad we have found him for you. :)

M

Edited by Matlock1418
comment on MoP references

the L prefix suggests a locally raised New Army brigade and associated Ammunition Columns @David Porter may be able to narrow down L/33411

Possibly 39th (Depford) Divisional Ammuntion Column with an enlistment date around June 1915

Edited by jay dubaya

17 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

To add some handy pension etc. images for L/33411

WARNERW.33411PIC.png.cfba89a5650dcd26b3a61141ac162fa3.png

I would note we can see from the various Ministry of Pensions case references he moved around - including a  6 [West Midlands] and then an OS [Overseas] claim references

WARNERW.33411MS(CL)1.png.7ff89d8cc0bc9386a98f83321a193eef.png

Maximum grant was £104

This is the other side of the MS(CL) card - handy to have that address [originally only indexed as Stafford]

WARNERW.33411MS(CL)2.png.24897efef8e4d17c18baf59f1b730dca.png

Images thanks to WFA/Fold3 

Images rather clipped by Fold3 [not by me!!!]

So glad we have found him for you. :)

M

Thank you so much.x

L/33411 would have been issued around July 12, 1915 to William Warner on his joining 175th (Staffordshire) Brigade RFA at Smethwick.

5 minutes ago, Jill Vincent said:

Thank you so much.x

One more QQ...If I  wanted to see if he had a disability pension, and went to a rehabilitation hospital  where would  be the best to search?

3 minutes ago, David Porter said:

L/33411 would have been issued around July 12, 1915 to William Warner on his joining 175th (Staffordshire) Brigade RFA at Smethwick.

Thank you David, he was born around the Smethwick area .

2 hours ago, Jill Vincent said:

If I  wanted to see if he had a disability pension, and went to a rehabilitation hospital  where would  be the best to search?

Pre-discharge he would likely have seen some treatment in theatre - so overseas Field Ambulance records and Stationary and General Base Hospital records might show him.  However I don't have access [Other members likely will have some access - but I can't be sure he will show up].

For general info see:

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/the-evacuation-chain-for-wounded-and-sick-soldiers/military-hospitals-in-the-british-isles-1914-1918/military-hospitals-in-staffordshire

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/british-base-hospitals-in-france 

Of course the military also ran a number of hospitals in the UK - they tried to get men near to home if possible

For general info on these see: 

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/the-evacuation-chain-for-wounded-and-sick-soldiers/military-hospitals-in-the-british-isles-1914-1918

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/the-evacuation-chain-for-wounded-and-sick-soldiers/military-hospitals-in-the-british-isles-1914-1918/military-hospitals-in-staffordshire

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/the-evacuation-chain-for-wounded-and-sick-soldiers/military-hospitals-in-the-british-isles-1914-1918/military-hospitals-in-warwickshire 

I am not sure if detailed records from these survive.

Most of the main Ministry of Pension Awards files were deliberately destroyed - as appears to have been his.

So far there is no evidence of post-discharge treatment for WW, certainly not off the MoP records I have seen at WFA/Fold3, though the MoP did later operate a number of hospitals and offer rehabilitation, typically more for physical disabilities than sickness which is indicated on his Medal & SWB MIC [commonly treatment for physical disabilities and TB, sometimes for insanity/neurasthenia/'shell shock'] - I have not seen any really detailed records from those hospitals, certainly none for WW.

More often you see such entries of hospitals on the likes of Army Form B.103 and Medical Boards reports in a 'burnt' service record [WO 363] or a Reconstituted SR/ 'unburnt'/'pension' record [WO 364] at The National Archives [most Other Ranks men's service records were lost due to WW2 bombing & fire] but I don't know if those are to be found  for WW - I certainly don't have direct access.  Usually accessed via Ancestry and Find My Past [Ancesty is available for free via public libraries in Staffordshire and elsewhere in the UK - library membership required]

BTW - did you see from the MIC his rank was Driver [this was both a rank and a role] - so horses likely to have been a significant part of his Army life seemingly following on from his civilian pre-war occupation.  Post-war he seems to have tried his hand at pigs and poultry.  Interestingly poultry is commonly noted on such MS(CL) Grant records - perhaps a new and trendy business opportunity tried by many ex-servicemen ... possibly leading to why we eat so many chickens today, when previously they were much of a luxury in the UK??  But that's rather an aside!

M

Edit: His MS(CL) card, above, shows the rank of Pte [Private] but this would be incorrect for the RFA [though of similar hiarachy in Army ranks and for pension purposes, i.e. pension Class V]

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

5 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Pre-discharge he would likely have seen some treatment in theatre - so overseas Field Ambulance records and Stationary and General Base Hospital records might show him.  However I don't have access [Other members likely will have some access - but I can't be sure he will show up].

For general info see:

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/british-base-hospitals-in-france 

Of course the military also ran a number of hospitals in the UK - they tried to get men near to home if possible

For general info on these see: 

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/the-evacuation-chain-for-wounded-and-sick-soldiers/military-hospitals-in-the-british-isles-1914-1918

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/the-evacuation-chain-for-wounded-and-sick-soldiers/military-hospitals-in-the-british-isles-1914-1918/military-hospitals-in-warwickshire 

I am not sure if detailed records from these survive.

Most of the main Ministry of Pension Awards files were deliberately destroyed - as appears to have been his.

So far there is no evidence of post-discharge treatment for WW, certainly not off the MoP records I have seen at WFA/Fold3, though the MoP did later operate a number of hospitals and offer rehabilitation, typically more for physical disabilities than sickness which is indicated on his Medal & SWB MIC [commonly treatment for physical disabilities and TB, sometimes for insanity/neurasthenia/'shell shock'] - I have not seen any really detailed records from those hospitals, certainly none for WW.

More often you see such entries of hospitals on the likes of Army Form B.103 and Medical Boards reports in a 'burnt' service record [WO 363] or a Reconstituted SR/ 'unburnt'/'pension' record [WO 364] at The National Archives [most Other Ranks men's service records were lost due to WW2 bombing & fire] but I don't know if those are to be found  for WW - I certainly don't have direct access.  Usually accessed via Ancestry and Find My Past [Ancesty is available for free via public libraries in Staffordshire and elsewhere in the UK - library membership required]

BTW - did you see from the MIC his rank was Driver [this was both a rank and a role] - so horses likely to have been a significant part of his Army life seemingly following on from his civilian pre-war occupation.  Post-war he seems to have tried his hand a pigs and poultry.  Interestingly poultry is commonly noted on such MS(CL) Grant records - perhaps a new and trendy business opportunity tried by many ex-servicemen ... possibly leading to why we eat so many chickens today, when previously they were much of a luxury in the UK??  But that's rather an aside!

M

Thankyou, I will look further into his hospital records.it was rumoured that he walked out of hospital to get home   And lost part if his disability pension ! ( nog sure if this was true. He did say he was with the horses and a Canadian regiment fif modt ov his time in the war and this is why he moved to BC Canada with his young family in 1927