Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 Coy Gen Hospital

patchthedog

My Grandfather was wounded on the 25/3/1918 and it says on his Casualty form he was at the above place, before being sent home (he recovered and returned to front later) Just wondering where this Hospital was? I  think possibly Etaples, but it does not appear on the list. As an aside his medal card has the wrong first name on it. Yet everything else is correct. 

Thank you.

• Admin

Can you please either post a name/number/unit for the man so others can examine the record or post an image of it for the same reason.

Often people who tell us that something reads "so an so" actually ends up reading something else.

I would hazard a guess it reads "Can" - so it might be No1 Canadian General Hospital. Or it might be referring to a Convalescent Hospital.

But I would prefer to see the original ideally to make sure or come up with some other suggestion.

Regards

Russ

Sorry here are his details. Private Donald McLennan 1/4th Seaforth Highlanders 238067 

• Admin

Can you post a link to the record or attach an image of the page - I can't find that man in the records.

Russ

• Admin

Could be No 1 Canadian General Hospital - but I note that hospital never left England.

Need a fresh pair of eyes on it.

EDIT: I am now seeing records that it arrived in France in 1915 and was at Etaples - strange that the LLT has no mention of it

War Diary for the relevant period:

Lines of Communication Troops. 1 Canadian General Hospital | The National Archives

Cheers and Thank you, will download it. Have to say, some of the writing on my Grandads papers would make a Doctors appear normal :) 

• Admin

Out of interest please - from where does the record originate? It looks like an original.

Russ

2 hours ago, patchthedog said:

Sorry here are his details. Private Donald McLennan 1/4th Seaforth Highlanders 238067 

So definitely Donald McLennan?

Not Oscar?

Untitled99.jpg

Yes most definitely not Oscar!!!  image.png.bc41222441670062891c9887010610bc.png

Edited by patchthedog
add attachment

38 minutes ago, RussT said:

Out of interest please - from where does the record originate? It looks like an original.

Russ

Its from the National Archives, i got his whole record under FOI cost £24 and took 3 months, from when he enlisted till he was discharged in 1945 after being taken pow in 1940

6 hours ago, patchthedog said:

image.png.c6de1b437f314f9ddd5f551c0b801a96.png

Invalided to U.K. G[un]S[hot]W[ound] Arms & Chest Etaples is what I am reading, so since 1 Canadian General is noted at Etaples by RussT that looks good to me.