Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Biggans (perhaps Biggins) - The Black Watch

Jean Coombs

Thank you Frogsmile and to all you guys who are helping me out with conundrum. 

• Admin

Were there a couple of Officer Training Battalions at Pirbright (LLT refers)?

Is it possible he was considered for a commission sometime during the war? That photo has him wearing his Black Watch cap badge (I think) so it is taken before 1916 as we have already established that he had been transferred to the MGC at the beginning of 1916, and I'm not sure when the Pirbright OTB was established - LLT implies February 1916.

Russ

10 minutes ago, Jean Coombs said:

Thank you Frogsmile and to all you guys who are helping me out with conundrum. 

Can you show the whole of the Pirbright photograph, as it might offer some clues?

1 minute ago, RussT said:

Were there a couple of Officer Training Battalions at Pirbright (LLT refers)?

Is it possible he was considered for a commission sometime during the war? That photo has him wearing his Black Watch cap badge (I think) so it is taken before 1916 as we have already established that he had been transferred to the MGC at the beginning of 1916, and I'm not sure when the Pirbright OTB was established - LLT implies February 1916.

Russ

I suppose it’s possible he could have been on the staff of an OTB initially Russ.  His dress would fit with that, as he’s not dressed as a cadet officer aspirant.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile the full photo is with a cousin in New Zealand. I will contact him.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Jean Coombs said:

Frogsmile the full photo is with a cousin in New Zealand. I will contact him

You might want to let him know of this Forum, this thread and the information being gathered, the questions being posed and the interesting resulting discussion - he could then perhaps post/contribute directly - just an idea.

Regards

Russ

7 minutes ago, Jean Coombs said:

Frogsmile the full photo is with a cousin in New Zealand. I will contact him.

It might help us a bit Jean.  If we can see the background and the other soldiers it may help to confirm the date and then we can consider his presence in Pirbright more fully.  If the date is early war to midwar then Russ’s query regarding the Officer’s Training Battalions and other training units could potentially come into sharper focus.  He’s not a young sergeant and a training unit would be a likely role for him.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile I will be contacting my cousin about the full photo and all the info I have gained from you guys on this forum. I only recently found out this info about my Granda on a recent visit to family in NZ. Growing up I lived in England and all my cousins lived in Dundee, Scotland. So the moral of this story is do some family history research before you get too old as you never know who is lurking in your past.